Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HX Effects Power Issue

Tarkenton

Yo, first post on here as I can't see this issue mentioned elsewhere on the forums.

I've been having some trouble recently with my HX Effects where seemingly at random, it won't start up. To note, I did have to get a new power supply with the correct spec as the original power supply broke. The HX is also second hand so warranty coverage is sadly not an option, and the one licensed Line 6 repair place in my country has pretty ridiculous repair costs if not covered by warranty. 

If the unit doesn't start up when I hit the switch, it's basically a case of unplugging the power supply, plugging it back in and flipping the switch and hoping that works. Sometimes it doesn't for like 5-6 tries, and if the power on fails, simply flipping the switch without first unplugging the supply does absolutely nothing no matter how many times I try. As soon as the unit is on, it still works fantastically as usual but this issue makes me worry that I could be at a show and everything could go to pot if it finally decides not to turn on.

With regards to the power supply possibly being the issue, I bought another one exactly the same as what I have been using without issue for about a year now, and the new supply does nothing to remedy the problem, so we can discount that as a potential weak spot. 

I did  a complete factory reset and update the unit to 3.6 today, reloaded my presets just in case and went about testing the power again. Was hoping this reset and update would 'blow out the bugs' as another thread mentions, but still faces the same issue (maybe less so but can't really tell as I had to head out of the house so couldn't test extensively).

I'm sure there is another point that I wanted to make that I'm missing, but another thread has led me to believe that the switch dying has something to do with it, but I suppose in terms of failing to turn on, any component failing could be a weak link.

Any help would be appreciated. As I mentioned, the unit works fantastically when on but I just worry when it doesn't turn on for 5-6 attempts.

If anyone could also link me to somewhere I can buy parts to remedy the issue, I'm happy to try replacing myself as the warranty is already not an issue and the unavoidable evaluation cost would be much better put toward a replacement HX Effects or Stomp XL

On 8/24/2023 at 3:48 AM, Tarkenton said:

With regards to the power supply possibly being the issue, I bought another one exactly the same as what I have been using without issue for about a year now, and the new supply does nothing to remedy the problem, so we can discount that as a potential weak spot. 

Can you provide a link for the power supply you're using?

That seems to be legit power supply, but one never knows how much manufacturers cheap out on parts.

I've repaired several LCD screens with a similar issue then your HX. Not powering on - only if you're lucky and pulled the power plug for a certain amount of time.

That was always caused by defective electrolyte capacitors in the (build in) power supply.

If the fault stems from the HX FX:

There should be one big electrolyte capacitor on the circuit board close to the DC IN socket, probably a 1000µF 16V or something. That would be my no1 suspect to check for defect.

• Like 1