Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Problems using an HXFX with a Morningstar MC8 and Boss RC500

elphickkenny

Hi, is anyone out there using a combination of an HXFX with a morning star MC8 and a boss RC 500?

If so, I could really do with some help. I have a specific and strange behaviour whereby, when I generate a CC message on the MC8 to change snapshots on the HX FX, it bizarrely seems to affect behaviour on the Boss RC 500. For example I have one preset on the MC8 which triggers record / play on the RC-500. This works fine until I add a message on another preset to select a particular snapshot using the CC 69 with values 0 to 3 as per HXFX midi guidance. Even though the HX FX and RC500 are on different channels, bizarrely, adding a snapshot message on a different preset within the MC8 bank then affects the behaviour of the RC 500 on a completely different midi channel. I hope this makes some sense and if anyone has any advice I would be very grateful. Thanks.

It's been a while since I used my MC8 with more than one device (I had an HX Stomp and two Eventide H9's). Are you definitely sure your Line 6 and BOSS pedal are set up on different MIDI channels on the units themselves?

If so, double check that the MC8 button press doesn't have one of the 16 messages set to the BOSS MIDI channel in error (highlighted). That was usually my problem when I was getting a strange action on a device I didn't intend to change.

Or share a screenshot of your settings

image.png

Have you tried turning off the MIDI thru?  It's been a while since I used it but for a while I was using a BeatBuddy in conjunction with my Helix Floor and I kind of remember I didn't need to use MIDI thru to get messages passed through the MIDI connection that were on a different MIDI channel from the Helix on a MIDI 5 pin daisy chain setup.  That's the only thing that occurs to me.  What is the configuration of your MIDI chain?  Is it MC8-.> HX FX -> RC500 or MC8 -> RC500 -> HX FX?

@elphickkenny nothing in your editor suggests a value/sequence error.

I had an issue with my HX Stomp/Eventide setup were I had to mess around with the MIDI channels on my H9's before they received the command from my MC8 correctly. The only thing I can suggest is recreating your intro/verse presets on the buttons I-P from scratch in the same bank to see if it works there. I might be the order you've got them connected (as metnioned by @DunedinDragon)

I assume you don't have an issue with any of your other banks?