Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Catalyst 60 Combo

nick70717273

I haven't, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work just fine.

AFAIK, those UA devices are not actually "preamps", they're full-on AIAB pedals.

Did you have specific concerns?

If it's designed to go into the Input of a guitar amp, then the Output Level is Instrument.

You may need to use the FX Loop position of the switch to get the best level.

That will also enable you to use any FX that you place in the POST position.

Only if you have no need of the Cat's FX.

The ONLY difference between LINE level and INSTRUMENT level is that INSTRUMENT level is LOWER than LINE level.

The difference between FX Loop and POWERAMP is that POWERAMP is 6 (or 10, I forget) db lower than FX Loop, and in POWERAMP mode the POST FX are bypassed.

IOW - 

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO USE THE POWERAMP SETTING WITH A LINE LEVEL DEVICE!

The only functional difference is that in FX LOOP mode you don't have to turn the Cat's MASTER up as much to achieve the same level as in POWERAMP mode, and in FX Loop mode the FX are active.

I run my Helix into the Cat's RETURN in FX Loop Mode and the ONLY difference between the Helix set to LINE Level and Helix set to is the level of the Cat's output.

When I use my HX Stomp instead of Helix this saves me two of the eight available blocks because I don't need to use delay and reverb on the HXS, I use the Cat's delay and reverb instead.

IOW

When you run your UA into the Cat's RETURN in FX Loop mode you don't need external delay (or any other Cat effect), or reverb because you can use the Cat's!

In the words of the inimitable Tony the Tiger - "Go ahead and use your UA device into the Cat's RETURN in FX Loop Mode - it's GREAT!"

Here's another reason to use FX Loop Mode.

You have 12 presets available in your Cat.

Each preset can have one of 6 different reverbs and one of 18 other effects.

All of those effects will be POST your UA device, so effects that don't sound all that good in the post amp position won't sound all that great, but TBH, I haven't tried them all so I don't know which ones those would be. The ones I've tried (MODS like Phaser and Flanger) sounded fine. YMMV.

Point is you get 12 different post amp FX configurations - FREE!

On 3/3/2024 at 5:26 PM, nick70717273 said:

I'm going to use it in power amp in mode to start (with the UA Lion).

Is the Master Volume the only control that is operational? There's no reference in the manual to this.

Nick

Because you're bypassing the FX, yes.