Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x as MIDI controller?

J3FF1

I am running my HD500x to my Catalyst 200 using the 4 cable method which works great, I also plugged in a MIDI cable to the out\thru on the HD500x to the MIDI in on the catalyst but I'm having issues getting the two units to communicate after using the MIDI mapping guide from each unit. Im wondering if the HD500x MIDI is just to out dated to be compatible?

MIDI is MIDI. If the device has a 5pin MIDI port and you connect it to another device with a 5pin MIDI port, the age of the device re compatibility is NOT the issue.

The issue is what EXACTLY is the sending device sending, and can the receiving device actually HEAR what is being sent.

Connect your HD500 to your computer using a MIDI Interface. That could be an Audio Interface with MIDI Ports or even the cheapest MIDI to USB cable:

Amazon.com: TENINYU USB to MIDI Cable Converter 2 in 1 PC to Synthesizer Music Studio Keyboard Interface Wire Plug Controller Adapter Cord 16 Channels Supports Computer Laptop Windows and Mac : Musical Instruments

DL a MIDI Monitor such as this:

MIDIView - Free MIDI Monitor tool for Win & Mac (hautetechnique.com)

This will tell you what EXACTLY is being sent. Most importantly the MIDI CHANNEL.

Assuming that the MIDI CHANNEL matches between the HD500 and the Catalyst, you should have communication.

That said, I have observed that the Catalyst works best on MIDI Channel 1. That should not be an issue, but it can be, so use MIDI CHANNEL 1.

Read the devices' manuals to see how to set these. The Catalyst requires the APP for this.

Now you need to know which CC#s are required to control whatever.

Note that the Catalyst requires TOGGLING CCs for switches. That means a CC VALUE of 127=ON; 0=OFF.

Expression pedals controlling variable values such as VOLUME use a RANGE of VALUES which can be set anywhere between 0-127, typically 0-127.