Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Using my line 6 as a Midi Controller for RC300 and GR-1

JimCoulthard

I intend to use Helix Line 6 as my Midi Controller.  I want to change the Song patch on the Roland RC300 which currently on the preset I can set the preset, command centre and programme.  0 for song 1 and 1 for 2 etc.  I want to select patches on the tone for Roland Gr1 ideally in snapshots this is where it goes wrong.  I know it will be obvious for the initiated but if you could give me a steer please.

"currently on the preset I can set the preset, command centre and programme". 

What exactly do you mean by this?

"I want to select patches on the tone for Roland Gr1 ideally in snapshots this is where it goes wrong."

What exactly "goes wrong"? 

"When I load the preset I want Helix to send ________________."

"When I change snapshots I want Helix to send_________________________."

"currently on the preset I can set the preset, command centre and programme". 

What exactly do you mean by this? -

"I want to select patches on the tone for Roland Gr1 ideally in snapshots this is where it goes wrong."

What exactly "goes wrong"? 

ANSWER -  There is an instant control change that changes the song on teh RC300 and that works well.  What I wanted to do is to go into snapshots from there on in that song and set them up as manual control change to call up a tone on the GR1.

"When I load the preset I want Helix to send an instant control change to call up the song on the RC300.

"When I change snapshots I want Helix to send a manual programme change to Roland Gr-1 to choose a tone or a patch.

Thanks

I'm going to assume that the programs on the RC300 (SONG) and the GR1 (TONE) are both called using Program Change Messages (PC#).

In the attached example preset, the RC300 is on MIDI Channel 1 and the GR1 is on MIDI Channel 2.

The PC#s for each are placed in INSTANT COMMANDs 1 (IC1 = RC300) and 2 (IC2 = GR1).

When the preset loads (using SS1 [S1 - T1] as default) it sends a PC to the RC300 to call the SONG (using IC1) and a PC to the GR1 to load TONE 1 (using IC2). 

SS2 sends a PC to the GR1 to load TONE 2 and SS3 loads TONE 3.

Note that on SS2 and SS3, IC1 (RC300) remains the same as on SS1.

This prevents Helix from re-sending the SONG call to the RC300, preventing the RC300 from re-loading the SONG on each SS change.

"The Song Remains the Same". Only the TONE changes.

If you don't already have one, I HIGHLY recommend that you DL a MIDI MONITOR program so that you can test your configurations.

Excellent and simple to use FREE monitor:

MIDIView - Free MIDI Monitor tool for Win & Mac (hautetechnique.com)

JimCoulthard.hlx

• Upvote 1