Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Having trouble with Helix LT to Motu M2 interface

inflames66676

Hi. Just bought a new Helix LT and i'm having some sound issues when connecting to my audio interface Motu M2.

First of all, i have to say that the simple Helix 1/4" -> monitors connection sounds amazing, no issues there.

My connection is as follows: 1 mono Helix 1/4"-> 1 Motu 1/4" -> 2 KRK monitors. I'm using reaper as my DAW with motu as my chosen interface in the audio configuration.

I've bypassed the helix volume knob and the 1/4" output is set to line.

With this setup, i get an ever so slight buzz or static noise (not sure how to describe, maybe like a drive buzz but more annoying and artificial) after i play a chord or a double stop even though the drive or gain in the amp is really low and shouldn't distort the sound.

When playing with clean or dirty tones it sounds about 40% less good than with helix -> monitors. The sound is dull, muffled and artificial while with monitors it's more full and realistic.

Feels like i'm missing something fundamental here and I would be grateful if someone could help.

I'm attaching a short sound sample using US Double Vib amp+cab on factory settings. (I should mention that the volume display isn't going red at any point).

What is the purpose of using the MOTU instead of Helix?

That would allow you to get a simultaneous DI recording for re-amping with Native and keep the signal digital (no AD/DA conversion) from Helix>Reaper>monitors.

Also, some USB powered AI's can add noise. Motu is good stuff, so probably not the problem, BUT...

If you have a reason for using it:

Use the Motu's MONITOR button to get DIRECT MONITORING from the Helix THRU the Motu to the speakers.

Make sure that Phantom Power (48v) is OFF!

Use the Helix Volume knob for your live monitoring level (same as Helix>Monitors).

Use the MOTU Gain knob to get the proper recording level (-18/-12db) in Reaper.

Set the Helix Output to INSTRUMENT if the signal into Reaper is too hot.

Turn OFF the Track Input Monitor button in Reaper.

Reaper will record and play back thru the Motu, but your live playing will always be direct from Helix>Monitors, without the Motu pre-amps in between.

EDIT: To clarify, the MONITOR button on the Motu routes the signal at the Inputs directly to the Output, but the signal is still being sent via USB to Reaper. Turning OFF the Track Input Monitor button in Reaper prevents the signal being recorded from passing back to the Motu which would cause a "slapback" effect as it would be delayed (latency) when heard combined with the DIRECT MONITOR signal. The recorded track will still playback through the Motu as expected.

On 8/28/2024 at 4:05 AM, rd2rk said:

Reaper will record and play back thru the Motu, but your live playing will always be direct from Helix>Monitors, without the Motu pre-amps in between.

The M2 preamps will still be in the signal path.

On 8/28/2024 at 12:24 AM, SaschaFranck said:

The M2 preamps will still be in the signal path.

On 8/28/2024 at 8:53 AM, rd2rk said:

I do not think so. What would be the point?

My bad. You are correct. 

Thanks for the response. I've tried all the steps you've suggested but i'm still getting that fuzz. 

On 8/28/2024 at 5:05 AM, rd2rk said:

What is the purpose of using the MOTU instead of Helix?

This is my setup for listening to music/gaming etc. pc -> motu -> 2 monitors. It was also perfect for boss katana amp -> motu -> amplitube.

If i use helix as my audio interface it would have to stay always on, and since i'm planning to use the helix a lot outside my room, it leads to lots of cable handling (since it would have to be connected to my monitors).

Laziness in short.

The M2 has *way* better latency than the Helix, too. We're talking 3.5 vs. 15+ milliseconds, the former being pretty much the best in its class, the latter being the worst. So once you're as well using amp plugins straight ahead (without monitoring through HX sounds), the M2 is most excellent (in fact, it's the reason why I bought one) while the HX series devices are completely inacceptable (at least for me).

On 8/28/2024 at 12:41 PM, SaschaFranck said:

The M2 has *way* better latency than the Helix, too. We're talking 3.5 vs. 15+ milliseconds, the former being pretty much the best in its class, the latter being the worst. So once you're as well using amp plugins straight ahead (without monitoring through HX sounds), the M2 is most excellent (in fact, it's the reason why I bought one) while the HX series devices are completely inacceptable (at least for me).

True enough when using plugins. I don't use Helix for that either.

Since you own an M2, any ideas on OP's problem - Helix>Monitors=GOOD;Helix>M2>Monitors=BAD?

On 8/28/2024 at 10:24 PM, rd2rk said:

Since you own an M2, any ideas on OP's problem - Helix>Monitors=GOOD;Helix>M2>Monitors=BAD?

Unfortunately, no. Works fine here with the Stomp. I'm using it slightly different though, as I'm using one input to record, the other to monitor. As the M2 has no dedicated mixing utility, the input gain also controls the monitoring level (pretty stupid, really...), but I work around that by "wasting" one input just for monitoring purposes, hence being able to use the input gain pot as a monitor volume control.

• Like 1

Are sure you're in a mono vs stereo mode on the M2?

Be sure that the second input is turned down to zero if not using it.

Try checking the volumes, Helix up and M2 close to neutral gain.  Run it a little lower just in case you are overloading something.  

make sure phantom power is off.