Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with 31 band eq

Once again I find myself struggling with a decision that I want to run by you sound pros to make an informed decision. Last summer I purchased an MD 20 mixer (2) L3M Speakers and (2) L3Subs.

I am the trusty bass player in our cover band and we are doing some outdoor shows this summer. In my last system we had a DBX drive rack that we would use to automatically tune the system. What I've been told by a friend that does sound for a living is this.

Since my system has a 31 band eq and I have no pro tuned ear like real sound men do is to get a RTA app on my iPad, and a calibrated measurement mic. Run pink noise through the system have the sound analyzed through the app then apply manually to the main eq to get close to flat as possible.

My question is... Is this a good idea? Is there better options? And if it is a good idea how do you translate the 1/3 octave eq setting from the app to the actual EQ. I mean if the analyzer says lets say 1600hz is at -47db and 63hz is at -30, am I reducing the eq band 63hz 17 db?

I really want to make this simple. But want to make the system sound it's best. I'd appreciate as always any advice. Thanks in advance.

PC

Hi PCraider,

don´t know if I would make such big efforts with pink noise running through the system and measurement mics just to set up eq for a gig. For me this would consume too much precious time before a gig for soundchecks etc.

I am just trusting my ears by setting up each channel with necessary eq´s to the sound you like (I find the presets set up pretty well, for my case they just Need a Little bit of tuning until all band mates are satisfied with their instrument´s sound).

After the channel setups I just take a look at the main graphical eq and raise/lower certain frequencies until I have a a good Level of all frequencies. And that´s it and I´m done. That is exactly the point where the M20d takes a lot of work from you  to let you concentrate on the thing you are expirienced with: Playing your Instrument instead of messing around hours and hours with your sound.

For example on the weekend I used the 12-band eq for the first time (don´t know why, we played a few times before in this venue with the M20d, but this time we were lacking some high frequencies). A quick look on the graphic eq, a little raise on the frequencies that had not a decent level and voila: We sounded like before. This would be my Approach to set up the eq, but I´m pretty sure our fellow M20d would say it´s not the way they would go and have other approaches on setting up their system eq-wise :)  

My previous setup sounded great and I relied heavily on a dbx driverack. I used to "pink" each room we played in, made minor adjustments, and then saved it. Worked very well. I was told a better way to use it was to do the "pinking" outside with the speakers until a flat response was achieved (using the procedure on the dbx forums). I never did this well. So I just continued to do it in the rooms we played. And right or wrong, it worked very well for us as I said.

Once I purchased my m20d and 2-l3s and 2-l3t, which come already with a flat response, I immediately understood why the time should be put in to "tune your speakers". You then have very little EQ to do in any room.

My long winded point is, I don't think you need it. I find there is so little EQ to do, it is not worth the time for the small improvement you will get through analyzing. Connect using the L6 linking so gain structure is correct, and then pick a preset (I use the same one everywhere), and then MAYBE, a little on the "quick tweak" for the main outs.

I too am the trusty bass man/sound man in our cover band. My ear is not pro either, but I do know a good sound. And we have it, and it is easy, and we use no EQ other than the M20d. I don't even use the EQ on the speakers (via L6 link). And I have had my good sound confirmed by many other musicians and sound guys that have heard us and compliment it.

Less is more. And in the case of this Line 6 system, less is WAY more.

Thank you both for your quick response. We have done many inside gigs and have been complimented several times regarding our sound. I was worried about outdoors cause its a bigger venue. You both basically set my mind at ease by your experiences.

Thanks again for your advice

PC.