Sign in to follow this  
MitchMunn

Spider Iv 120 - Sounds Muddy

Just started trying to play a while ago now............so be nice! 

I have a Spider IV 120 amp, FBV shortboard MKII foot control and a LTD Hetfield Snakebite with the Het Set pickups.

It seems to me that every setting is muddy sounding unless I pick very hard.  I cannot finger any notes as they just do not sound through. I have watched some things on the internet with the same amp and they seem to have a lot better sound. 

Do I need to have an interface and POD Farm?  I am aware that the HET pickups are lower in tone but I am not sure if it is them the amp or what...... any help would be appreciated. 

In my experience, muddiness comes from too much bass and not enough mid and/or treble. Try adjusting the EQ on the amp after you choose a preset. You can also adjust the tone knob on your guitar. Typically, all the way counter-clockwise is more bass, and the opposite is more treble.

I have never played through a Het Set, but I do have a guitar with EMG active pickups. To me, they sound smoother and more rounded out compared to other humbuckers. I find it difficult to get the "bite" that I want out of an EMG pickup.

Also, make sure you are switched to the bridge pickup if you are looking for more of a "bite" to your sound.

I hope this helps!

Congrats on getting a snakebyte. Trying to get one of those myself.