Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Is a POD quieter than the Foot switch power supply?

So I was away playing my Variax with batteries because I forgot the plug for my foot switch, and I've noticed that the Variax is quieter in terms of stuff like changing models and transferring models from workbench.

I don't know if that's normal but it's always been like that since I've had the guitar.

My question is, does a VDI POD sound quieter than a foot switch power supply? I notice the power supply itself is noisy when you move the cable while it's on as well, and even the cable doesn't make noise when I'm using batteries.

Can anyone weigh in on this?

I think VDI and batteries are about the same.  Footswitch power supply is a potential ground loop maker.

Thanks. I was hoping a VDI would be more secure since it uses a more professional way to transfer the power.

Since the VDI is powered by the Pod itself I think it is a better way to power the Variax.  Also, the VDI is a digital interface which is also a less noisy way to send the guitar signal to the Pod.

The power unit is noisy even when not connected to the guitar. By noisy I don't mean constant noise, but I mean popping when moving the cable in the jack, or buzzing when it's unplugged. This doesn't happen without the power supply and just batteries.

I'm hoping if power from batteries can result in no buzz or popping when changing pickups/models then a VDI would be clean enough to do it as well.