Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help with volume issue

Did a parking lot gig with my line 6 system. (M20d mixer 2 L3M 2 L3 Subs) Unfortunately the bar owner booked a DJ as well. He was supposed to play only during our breaks. Well he didn't. We had a bit of a volume war. Now everyone kept telling me to turn the band up to overpower him. I kept the speaker volumes at 12 o'clock and hit 0 with the mains. I've never had to push it more then this. But it still wasn't loud enough. We area 5 piece band with everyone going through the board drums were bass drum snare and two overheads. The obvious answer was to shoot the DJ I know...lol

My questions are:

If the speakers are at the 12 o clock setting is this only 1/2 of their capable volume?

Is it better to keep the board volume at 0 and turn the speaker volumes up? If so what's the max to put the speaker volume at before you run risk of damaging them?

It's a war you can't win. No matter how loud you pump your rig, an element of the DJ's output is going to bleed through into your listening space and likewise yours into his. People trying to listen to you will complain that you're not loud enough because they can still hear the DJ and his audience will complain because they can still hear you. Think of indoor arena gigs, with stacks shoving out 25-30KW and everyone still hears the tosser's mobile phone go off.

The ONLY solution is to agree terms with the opposition before you both start. Talk to the DJ, ask what he's been told to do and if he's not expecting to cease while you're playing, take it up with the bar owner/manager. Playing SPL tennis in a car park is not something to get involved with, you'll blow your rig long before you "out volume" your opposition.

Thanks SI

We didn't out battle him anyway. We felt as a band it's our job to play in our time slot and whatever else happens is not our responsibility.

Thanks for the answer. I use the line 6 link so I'll leave the speakers alone and increase the mains.

PC

The max power is not related to knob position but it will affect the quality of sound and the hiss level if you set it other than at 12:00.

If you need to sound louder, select the "punchy PA" preset for the mains.