Aug 18, 2009 4:34 PM
I haven't checked the 'question' option before, and because of that no one from Line 6 probably saw this, so I'm posting it again, because it's very important.
It's quite a long and technical read, but it's important and I hope it will be forwarded to someone who is responsible for developing Line 6 Monkey
Configuration and hardware: Pod Studio UX2 (bought this week), newest software downloaded from the website (including Line 6 Monkey 1.30), Mac OS X 10.5.8 on a two year old MacBook.
Problem: installation of Pod Farm, including the drivers went well, the device works, Pod Farm works (sees the UX2 device) etc. but when I try to run Line 6 Monkey I'm presented with a message "No Devices Detected, please select the Line 6 device you'd like to configure:" and I'm able to select amongst only three devices: PODxt, PODxt Live and PODxt Pro.
I'm not the only one with this particular problem (see here http://line6.com/supportarchive/thread/54413 , http://line6.com/community/thread/7442?start=0&tstart=0 , http://line6.com/community/message/21309#21309 or http://line6.com/community/message/20969#20969 It's been going on for a couple of months)
Everything works fine on my other machines running Windows (XP and Vista), on the same network (no firewall).
But I didn't stop there and I think I found the solution to this problem, and I know why is it happening, and in order for it to work correctly every time you have to modify the software.
Cause: Let's break down how Line 6 Monkey works (at least that's what I think it does):
When you run it for the first time, it connects to the internet to download some kind of device definitions, which is a good thing because it should always stay up to date. If it does not detect an internet connection it uses a built-in database of device definitions (they are integrated in the software, on a Mac inside the Line 6 Monkey.app/Contents/Resources/Default.cfg). So far so good. But if Line 6 at least once connected to the internet and downloaded the definitions, then it never uses the built in database, even when there's no connection, instead it uses previously downloaded database located in Library/Application Support/Line 6/default.cfg.
And that's where the problem appears, when the Mac version of the software connects to the internet for the first time it download a bad database (very old one, only with three devices mentioned earlier, it's located here:http://line6.com/software/disabledreleases.xml ) therefore from now on, even with the internet connection down, it uses this bad database and doesn't work with other devices.I've verified it by copying the good database from inside the app to Library/Application Support/Line 6/default.cfg and shut down my connection (in order to force the app to use the good database). Then it all worked on my mac, my device was recognized and could be authorized. But when I tried to run with internet connection on it downloaded the bad database and from that point on it refused to work again. So it cannot be fixed without changing the way this software works.
I've also noticed that other people who have this problem (from the links I've provided) attached their log files. In everyone of them (including mine) there was this line:
Redirecting to: http://line6.com/software/disabledreleases.xml (this is the old database)
Which makes me almost certain that this is the issue.
Solution: There has to be a problem with the way mac version downloads the database. I think I found why:
The URL it tries to connect to in the mac version is as follows:http://l6c.test1.line6.net/dispatch/monkey.html
But in windows version it is: http://line6.com/dispatch/monkey.html So maybe it should be changed somewhere inside the app
Probably it's a very easy thing to fix, and I wonder why it hasn't been fixed so far. Because of this error I cannot authorize my device on this computer, and use every feature I've paid for.
That's my theory, I hope it will allow you to improve your otherwise great software and hardware.
P.S. sorry for my english, I'm from Poland
Here is my log file (I highlighted what I think is important):
- Monkey started: Tue Aug 18 16:00:05 2009
Mac OS 10.5.8
Downloading config file: http://line6.com/dispatch/monkey.html?appid=2097217542&deviceid=4294967295&lang=en_US&page=releases
Redirecting to: http://line6.com/software/disabledreleases.xml
Loading server XML
Monkey URL set to: http://line6.com/dispatch/monkey.html
Camel server set to: 4750.line6.net
Creating Camel system with timeout of: 60
Initializing camel: camel://gpta.line6.net/camel/
Getting driver versions...
Found: 291 bundles
Found matching L6Driver: com.line6.driver.xtaudio
Found version string: 4.2.4
Driver added: 0x00006E03
Couldn't find a device descriptor...thats ok, creating one.
Created device description: VID=0x0E41 PID=0x4151 Name=UX2 UID=Line 6 UX2: 01714365 DriverVer=4.2.4
Fired CONNECTED dev change notification for: UX2
Previous app device found: connection=0 in= out= id=4294967295
Created Monkey device: UX2
Device not supported.
Scanning for all MIDI devices.
Sending MIDI inquiry on output port: UX2