Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD500x: Low-fi sound on headphones

AEnesidem

Hi!

Today i received my HD500x. I ran it through my tube amp and everything seems to sound fine. The cleans are absolutely amazing, apart from some amp high gain models sounding quite harsh or unusable (Bomber uber for example, which many seem to love).

The bigger problem though, is that when i try to play on headphones, the device sounds like a small battery powered amp. I had the exact same problem with my UX2 interface. I could ever use my headphones because the sound is just so bad that you can't hear what you dial in. Youtube videos and music sound just fine through this output but anything that is modelled does not.

Even weirder is that when i plug anything else than the amp into the 1/4" outs it sounds fuzzy and like a toy amp!
I have tried different settings, lowering volume in the mixer, different headphones, different speakers.... anything.
This is quite the issue cause i wnat to record on my PC. If i plug speakers into my pedal i hear fuzz, headphones? fuzz, plug in into my UX2? fuzz and if i plug it into my amp the tone is colored. This means i can't record on my pc with it.

Please help,

with kind regards,

Alex

When using headphones, or recording, make sure the HD500X is set to Studio output mode. Also, if using then1/4" outputs make sure the associated switch on the top panel of the device is set to Line (not Amp). Finally, when set up this way, most people prefer to use the Full (not Pre) amp models because you can use a mic/cab selection.

Edit: Also, when recording, make sure you configure your DAW to use the Hd500X and its ASIO driver as the audio input/output device.

When using headphones, or recording, make sure the HD500X is set to Studio output mode. Also, if using then1/4" outputs make sure the associated switch on the top panel of the device is set to Line (not Amp). Finally, when set up this way, most people prefer to use the Full (not Pre) amp models because you can use a mic/cab selection.

HI, thanks for the answer. It is set on studio output mode, and when i tested the 1/4 they were on line out. And i did use the full amp models.

Still everything sounds like it comes out of a toy box, which is not th ecase through the amp.

I'll try to make a clip tomorrow as everyone is asleep now.

Mine sounds great with headphones.  I did try a pair of Sony noise canceling headphones and they got a strange buzz that went away when I turned off the noise canceling.  I think there is some significant high frequency noise (above the audio range) on the headphone output that was screwing up the noise canceling stuff.  I have a nice pair of phones that are passive and they sound very good.  I use Studio Direct.

You should be hearing a very good sound using headphones in Studio mode with Full amps. To eliminate other variables, try using a very simple preset - just a clean amp and no FX.

If the problem is clear in that situation I think you should open a support ticket to work directly with Line 6 tech support on this.