M5/M9/M13 BACKUP INSTRUCTIONS
*** This procedure is also explained in the M9 Advanced User's Guide and M13 Advanced User's Guide
- A MIDI sequencer app such as Cubase or a sysex app -- if you don't have a sysex app installed, do a Google search for MIDI Ox (Windows) or Sysex Librarian (Mac) then download one or the other and install it.
And ONE of the following:
- A MIDI interface that connects to your computer via USB (download the current Driver for it if you don't have it installed) & 2 MIDI cables
- A MIDI - USB interface such as the M-Audio Uno that comes with attached MIDI cables. You may need to download & install the latest driver from the manufacturer for this device.
When your MIDI interface, Driver and sysex app are ready to go, follow PROCEDURE instructions below.
Saving Scenes & Folders:
1. Run MIDI OX. You can do so from Start > Program Files > MIDI OX.
2. Set "Pass Sysex" & "Start Display" to On by clicking on the the 'REC' & 'SYX' boxes at the bottom right of the main window so it is highlighted blue.
3. Now go to View > Sysex. A Sysex View and Scratchpad window will open.
4. Go to the Sysex menu & select "Receive Manual Dump." When selected, you will see a window appear waiting on info from the M9/M13.
5. In Setup Menu of M9 (Press the 1B and 2B buttons at once, then press the MODEL SELECT knob 3 times until the display shows MIDI in the top left) or the M13 (hold the 'Looper Controls' button), select 'Dump All' to backup all your scenes, 'Dump Folder' to backup the current folder, or 'Dump Edit' to backup the one scene you have currently selected. Press the TAP button and the 'MODEL SELECT' knob at the same time on the M9 or just press the 'MODEL SELECT' knob on the M13 to begin the dump. Click 'Done' in MIDI OX when complete.
6. Under the 'Display Window' of MIDI OX, click 'Save As' and save it as a Sysex file type.
Loading Scenes & Folders:
1. Run MIDI OX
2. Go to View > Sysex. A Sysex View and Scratchpad window will open.
3. Under the 'Command Window' menu, select 'Load File' and select the Sysex scene or folder file that is saved on your computer. If you are attempting to load an individual scene, it will be recalled to your current scene location, so change to the scene location on the M9/M13 you would like to overwrite.
4. Again, go to the 'Command Window' menu & select 'Send/Rec Sysex.' The display on the M9 (FX Unit 4 on the M13) will flash 'Receiving MIDI - Standby.' Once complete, your scene(s)/folder are now loaded. You do not have to set anything on the M9/M13, it will simply load the individual scene to the current location or load all the scenes in one shot once it receives the file. If you are loading a folder, it will load to the same folder location that it originated from. So, if you saved Folder 3 from the M9/M13, it will load back into the Folder 3 location on the hardware regardless of which Folder you may be looking into.
**Note - Using 'Send Sysex' does not work. MIDI OX screen will read 'Sysex Receive' although it is sending to the M9/M13.
Saving Scenes & Folders:
1. Open Sysex Librarian.
2. You should already see your MIDI interface (or 'USB Uno MIDI Interface') listed in the dropdown menu at the top. If not you will need to download & install the latest drivers available from the manufacturer.
3. Click the 'Record Many' button. Use this even when backing up an individual scene. A window will appear showing it is awaiting info from the M9/M13.
4. On the M9/M13 select either 'Dump All' (all scenes), 'Dump Folder' (current folder), or 'Dump Edit' (current scene). Press the TAP button and the 'MODEL SELECT' knob at the same time on the M9 or just press the 'MODEL SELECT' knob on the M13 to begin the dump.
5. Once complete, you can rename 'untitiled.syx' in Sysex Librarian by clicking the name once it is highlighted.
Loading Scenes & Folders:
1. Select the Sysex file you wish to load.
2. Click 'Play'. You will see 'Receiving MIDI - Standby' in the display on the M9 (FX Unit 4 on the M13). Your scene(s)/folder is now loaded. Again, if you are loading an individual scene, it will load to the current location you are in, so select the scene you wish to overwrite BEFORE loading the backup file. If you are loading a folder, it will load to the same folder location that it originated from. So, if you saved Folder 3 from the M9/M13, it will load back into the Folder 3 location on the hardware regardless of which Folder you may be looking into.
M5 Backup Procedure:
With a MIDI interface and a sysex application, you can back up all your
M5 presets to your computer. This makes it easy to build a custom preset
library, or exchange presets with others. To backup your presets, or to
dump the current preset, follow these steps:
1. Turn bottom left PARAMETER KNOB to set your MIDI
Channel (Ch. 1-16 or Omni - the default is Ch. 1).
2. Turn the Model Select knob to select DUMP ALL? (to back
up all 24 presets) or DUMP PRE? (to back up your current
NOTE: There is an error in the M5 Pilot Guide.pdf regarding the following step in the SysEx dump procedures. Please refer to the information here for correct behavior:
3. With your computer set up to record sysex, press and hold ON/OFF while you press down on the MODEL SELECT knob. Repeat this to confirm or press TAP to exit out, if you choose.
4. The M5 will immediately transmit the sysex file to your computer, creating a backup of your Scenes that you can store and recall at any time. To load presets back into your M5, simply transmit the sysex file from your computer into the M5 via MIDI. This will immediately load the data into the M5's memory.