Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Registered Products

Recent Profile Visitors

845 profile views

gbakerjr's Achievements


Contributor (5/14)

  • First Post Rare
  • Collaborator Rare
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later
  • One Year In

Recent Badges



  1. Has anyone on the forum replaced the battery door assembly on a TBP12? It looks like there's just a few allen-head screws that hold the unit together. I'm guessing you just separate the front and back sides of the unit, replace the door, and put it back together? Thought ask before I went after it cold turkey. Thanks in advance!
  2. The 1/4 outs on the Helix are unbalanced. The 1/4 ins on the JBL's are likely balanced. That will work, but you'd be better off spending a few bucks for a XLR cable(s) and keeping the signal balanced all the way through the chain.
  3. I had my Helix freeze on me twice. Audio still passed through and was processed, but the unit itself was completely paralyzed....Footswitches and expression pedal were dead. It only happened twice, once in the middle of a gig and once during a sound check. Reboot fixed it both times. Because both times were at a gig, I didn't have time to troubleshoot and it never happened again, so I chalked it up to a fluke. At the end of the day, this thing is a computer, and sometimes computers freeze. I don't remember which firmware version it was, but I think it was around a year ago, so it would've been a few firmware versions back. You can never trust what you hear through headphones to match a FOH system. Far too many variances.
  4. You all crack me up. You're putting words in my mouth and then chastising me for what I never said. In retrospect, I probably jumped the gun a little in saying I wouldn't buy from Line6 again. The bottom line is that Line6 makes great products, and if they have a new product that fits my needs, I'd probably buy it. My original post was bit of a knee-jerk reaction due to my disappointment that Line6 did not follow through with what they had promised, and secondly because there was no communication in the interim. If someone had zipped me an email saying hey...Things aren't going to work out exactly as expected, I would have been cool. Further, if Line6 had said from the beginning that there was no option for replacement, just repair, as I said in my original post, the defect is not life altering and I have plenty of time on my warranty left. I would've been fine with that as well, but I could've waited to send it in for repair when the timing was more convenient. Bottom line is that it's just the difference between good customer service and great customer service. I don't know if any of you own a business, but I do...I own several. Customer retention is the life blood of any service or sales oriented company. Was it a good warranty repair interaction? Yep. I'd even go as far as to say that it was a great warranty repair interaction. However, Line6 didn't do what they said they were going to do, so no...They don't score a 10 on this one. You're more than welcome to feel that my expectation is unreasonable, however this level of customer service is how I run my businesses, and my customer retention rate has been well North of 99% since 1992.
  5. Actually, replacing a unit that fails within the warranty period in a manner that leaves the customer with as little down time as possible is fairly common practice. I do have a back-up system. That's not the issue. Line6's turn around is not the issue. As I said, the turn around was excellent. My disappointment is due to the fact that Line6 didn't follow through with the arrangements that we made. Standing behind what you offer is just good business practice. Not looking for sympathy folks. Just sharing an experience.
  6. I bought my Helix in March of 2016, so it's still in warranty. I have a bad scribble strip. My gig schedule is very heavy and the Helix is a major part of my rig, so I'd really prefer not to be without it....Or if I have to be without it, to have as little down time as possible. When I opened a support ticket with Line6, I asked if it would be possible for them to send me a replacement, which I would gladly pay for up front, and then have them refund what I paid when they received the defective unit. This way there wouldn't be any down time. I've done this several times over the years with various gear and manufactures when something needed repair while still in warranty. I was working with "Will" at Line6. He said they weren't setup for that type of transaction, but what he would do was ship the replacement out as soon as I sent him tracking info for shipment of the defective Helix. He sent me a UPS label, I packed up the Helix and shipped it out on 9/13/2017, and sent the tracking info to Line6 that same day. I heard nothing in response, so I inquired about the status of the replacement unit on 9/16 and again on 9/19. I finally got a response on 9/19 that the replacement unit shipped that day. So much for shipping the replacement upon receipt of the tracking info for the defective Helix and helping me out with less down time. In the grand scheme of things, a few days turn around is normally excellent....Except that's not the arrangement that we had made. Since it's only a scribble strip issue and not impacting the functionality of the Helix, and I've got several months of warranty left, I would've gladly waited to send it in for repair when I had a lull in my gig schedule so I wouldn't be without the Helix. I've been a believer in Line6 since the original POD. I have an original POD, an AX2 212 with floorboard, a XT Live, a HD500, a HD500X, two Relay G90's, a XDV-75 with both headset and handheld, two James Tyler Variax's, a Helix, Helix Native, POD Farm....To say the least, I've shuffled a good amount of change to Line6 over the years. Next time I'm due to update my guitar rig, I'm afraid Line6 may not be on the receiving end of my hard earned dollars.
  7. I'm running into the same issue. I have to sign in to my Line6 account via Helix Native every time I open the plug in (or just stay signed in), or it only shows a trial license. Even if I stay signed in, when the plugin comes up, it shows the trial license at the to bottom right, and only corrects to showing authorized when I click the trial license statement. That has to be corrected. My studio machines only connect to the Internet for updates. I don't have them connected constantly. I don't want to have to "re-authorize" every time I open the plugin.
  8. I won't know for sure until I can test it out at a gig, but after some additional testing and diagnosing, I'm thinking my UHF IEM systems are the culprit. I never really looked at them because the frequency range they're operating is is no where near the L6 stuff (the IEMs are in the 600-800 MHz range, the L6 stuff is 2.4GHz), but it appears I need to keep some distance between the IEM antennas and the L6 antennas. The IEM antennas are on extension cables, so they're not in exactly the same place all the time, which would explain my problem being sporadic and intermittent to the point that I couldn't recreate it. It's probably not a cramped frequency problem, just a simple interference problem. Thanks Sheriton. You talking through this with me has been a HUGE help! I knew it had to be something stupid, turns out the something stupid was me! Although in my defense, it appears just shifting the IEM antennas an inch or two has a significant impact. Who would've guessed?
  9. Okay...So I ran the following test at my house yesterday: I set my wireless rig up in my studio, exactly how I set it up live, including the Behringer X32 that I use to mix us live. First, I turned off everything Wi-Fi in my house...No routers, cells, etc. on. I did a channel scan with the V75 receiver. All channels wide open. I hooked up two TBP12's to a guitar (one on mags, one on piezo, like I do live), and my V75 mic. I was able to go about 60 feet before I had any dropout. Note that the 60 feet took me through other rooms, and there was at least three interior walls between transmitters and receivers....No line of sight whatsoever. Next, I created as much interference as I could. I have two 2.4G networks running in my house, and a third 2.4/5G network. All on. There was a router on in the studio. I then took the two routers I use live (I only use one at a time...One is set up for 5G, one is setup for 2.4G. I typically use the 5G, unless something about the venue creates problems with the 5G) and set them up directly on top of the rack with the receivers. I also put three iPads, an iPhone, and an Android phone directly on top of the rack, WiFi enabled on everything. All of the devices except for the room router were literally inches from the Relay G-90's and V75 receiver. I ran a channel scan on the V75 receiver. All channels completely blocked up with interference. I started walking with my guitar and the V75 mic, and got the same exact results as I did with zero interference. About 60 feet and three interior walls before I got any dropout. So, this leads me to believe that there's obviously something at the venues creating interference, but what, and why is it so intermittent? Why can I go 3 hours into a gig with no problems, and then all of the sudden get dropouts? Makes no sense. At any given venue, even if there are WiFi networks running other than my own, the base of the network would be no where near my rig. The only things I can't account for in my home test are my band mates wireless rigs (all are on UHF except for my drummer's headset mic, which is on a Line6 system, and I make sure we're always running the same RF1 or RF2), and the fact that there would be hundreds of cell phones in the venue at any given show. None of which *should* have an impact on me. Sheriton - regarding my antenna daisy chaining...I have all of my wireless receivers in one rack. The Line6 stuff is all daisy chained. I have external antennas connected to a Relay G90 (the antennas that came with it), then in the rear, that G90 is connected to the second G90 via BNC cable, and the second G90 is connected to the V75 via BNC cable. Everything has been in the same rack, connected the same way, since 2012. The external antennas on the first G90 I always point up at a 90 degree angle. I would welcome any suggestions.
  10. Update...Switched to different TBP12's, no change. Still intermittent dropouts. Last night's gig I specifically had the receiver's less than 5 feet from me (what a cramped stage position!). Dropouts were fewer and further in between, but at that distance, I should be able to have a 6 cell phones, 2 routers and a microwave circled around my rig and still have it work (sarcasm...). What I don't understand is that I've been using this same rig for years with absolutely zero problem. Up until a few months ago when the dropouts started, I never bothered to scan for open channels (always ran channels 1, 3, and 6 on the Line6 stuff), I had the router that I use for my X32 connection sitting right on top of the wireless rack (note...that router runs at 5G), my cell sitting on top of the wireless rack, and I always had plenty of distance (40-50 feet plus) before I had any troubles. Since everything "just worked", I had no need to channel scan and/or be cognizant of where routers and cell phones were in relation to my wireless rack. I initially started running RF1, and updated everything to RF2 when Line6 came out with RF2. No problems with either. What changed? Is it just the fact that over the years there is simply more things competing for space in the 2.4G range? While that sounds plausible, I find it hard to believe in the recent short distance tests I've done. Even if the 2.4G space is cramped, having just a couple of feet between the transmitters and receivers with clean line of sight should overcome the cramped space (BTW, I run the transmitters on Hi power). What I know for sure is: 1. I simply can't deal with less than a 10 foot range on my wireless gear. 2. I highly doubt it's a hardware issue, since I have the same issues with three separate receivers and a half dozen transmitters. 3. If this means I have to replace the wireless systems, so be it...But if it's a 2.4G issue, then replacing with new Line6 stuff won't fix the problem, so that rules out Line6 stuff. I'm a firm believer in Line6, but I don't know what else to do in this situation. I'm going to call Line6 Tech Support tomorrow and see if they have any other suggestions.
  11. I've switched to RF1 and have run probably 8-9 gigs on RF1 now. The performance is definitely better than what I was getting on RF2, but I'm still getting very sporadic drop outs. It's so sporadic and intermittent that it's literally impossible to diagnose. The last two gigs I set myself up so that my rack with the wireless rigs was literally less than 10 feet away from me all night. The first of those two gigs, according to the channel scan on my V-75 system, there was quite a bit of interference in the area, but I picked the channels (3 of them...Two Relay G-90's and a V-75) that had the least amount of interference. My The G-90's worked fine, as long as I was within 7-8 feet of the receivers. As soon as I got further away than that, both cut in and out intermittently (and significant drop outs). Line of sight didn't seem to matter....I had clean line of sight the entire time. The V-75 did the same thing, but again very sporadically. The V-75 was about 8 feet from the receiver, and the only thing between the mic and the receiver was me. I had better luck with the V-75, but I assume that's because the mic was on a stand and basically stationary all night. The second of those two gigs I had the same issue....As soon as I got more than 10-15 feet away from the wireless rack, things went south. However, as long as I was within a few feet of my rack, everything went fine until towards the end of the night, where my G-90 beltpacks just went nuts, to the point that I switched to a cable mid-set. Again, there wasn't more than about 6-8 feet between me and the receivers, and clean line of sight. Now, this was towards the end of the night, and the beltpacks were reading about 2-3 hours of battery left (note - new batteries in the TBP12's always show 8 hours of battery. I NEVER get 8 hours out of a new set of batteries. I get 4.5-6 hours tops). I don't know if lower battery is maybe compounding the issue? The only thing I haven't tried yet, is swapping out beltpacks. I have several TBP12's. I typically use two live with my guitar, and occasionally a third if I go to a headset mic, so I have several for back-up purposes. I'm going to try swapping out the two I normally use for my guitar for two of the other ones and see if maybe it's just wear and tear issue. I'm playing around 80 gigs a year on a regular basis, and I've had the Relays and V-75 since 2012, so they've got some miles on them. I'm not holding my breath though, because of having the same problem with two TBP12's and a V-75 handheld leads me to believe that it's not a hardware issue. This really baffles me. I've run this same setup for years without as much as a hiccup.
  12. I have a multiple monitor setup, so it's a little easier from that standpoint. I just isolate the editor on one monitor, and anything else I'm running, I swing over to another monitor. Definitely not convenient. Hopefully Line6 addresses that....Particularly since Helix Native is right around the corner. I don't really want to have to adjust screen resolution to use a plug-in.
  13. I use a 4k monitor. I just change my display resolution to 1920x1080 when I run the Helix editor. It's not exactly convenient, but it's an easy work-around.
  14. Agreed on my drummer needing to be wireless, but it's his preference and his money. I'm not gonna go to war over it. Switching to RF1 was my next move. I hadn't done it yet only because I've been on RF2 for years with no issues. I did a Google search on RF1 versus RF2 and found conflicting info. I did notice, as I was testing and trying to diagnose, that while all of my transmitters were running RF2, once in a while my V-75 receiver would report one of the transmitters on RF1 when I did a channel scan. I'll let you know how I make out. Thanks for the reply!
  15. I posted this over in the XD-V forum yesterday, posting it here as well. I'm hoping someone can help me diagnose drop-out problems with my Line6 wireless gear that has only started recently. On stage I have the following wireless units: Relay G90's - 2 (running RF2) XD-V75 with handheld transmitter (running RF2) WiFi Router (running at 5G) using an iPad to control a Behringer X32 **Side note - The Relays and V-75 receivers are mounted in the same rack. External antennas are connected to one of the Relays, and then daisy chained from that Relay to the other Relay and V-75 in the rear. Additionally, my drummer uses a Line6 wireless unit for his Crown CM311. I'm not sure which Line6 model, but it's a current model, as it uses the TBP12 transmitter. We also have 4 wireless IEM systems, a Sennheiser wireless handheld, and my bass player uses a Sennheiser wireless for his bass. The IEM's and Sennheiser stuff is all UHF, not digital I've been running the Relays and the V75 since 2012, added the Behringer X32 and router to the mix in 2013. Up until the last few months, I haven't had as much as a cough or hiccup out of anything. Everything has worked darn near perfectly and played very nice together. When the drop-outs first started, it was the V75 that would give me trouble, but the Relays were fine. Initially I noticed that whenever I would have problems with the XD-V75, my iPad would also give me trouble staying connected to my router network. I could see that there were several WiFi networks in range, so I just chalked it up to a bunch of WiFi interference. Initially, the problem was minimal....Drop outs were few and far between, and just little blips. Now I've got both Relays and the V-75 system acting up on me, sometimes the iPad gets in on the action with them, sometimes it doesn't. I should mention that these are all venues that I've been in multiple times before with this same rig, and no problems. It's very inconsistent. I can go one night with no troubles, the next night all hell breaks loose. The venue we were in this past weekend, both of my Relays and the V-75 gave me fits, but the iPad was fine. The previous time we were in this venue, the iPad give me fits and the Line6 stuff was fine. My drummer doesn't have any problems with his Line6 unit, but his transmitter and receiver are rarely more than 2-4 feet apart. I am relatively close to my stuff as well, but not that close. Typically, my Relay and V-75 transmitters are within 10-20 feet of the receivers. Plenty close enough that distance shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, because there is no consistency to what's happening, I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what the cause is. I always scan and use channels with no (or the least amount of) interference. The router is always kept at least 5-7 feet away from my Line6 receivers (router runs at 5G, so I wouldn't think it would be a problem with the Line6 stuff anyway?). It's not happening every show, but it's definitely happening more frequently as time goes on. At first I thought maybe something was going bad, but the fact that all three Line6 units are acting up (albeit not always at the same time) leads me to believe it's a transmission and reception problem, not a hardware problem. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated. Also, what's the official word from Line6 on RF1 versus RF2? When I researched it, there seems to be conflicting info as to which is best for a given type of situation. Thanks all! Gary
  • Create New...