How to control and change Helix presets to sync with lyrics/songsheets on iPad by using OnSong.
I wanted my guitar and vocal effects preset on the Helix to change depending on the song currently displayed on my iPad. So, Song 1 on my iPad would have a preset attached to it and when I flipped to Song 2 on my iPad, the preset would change on my Helix automatically.
I have an iPad with the OnSong app, Helix Floor and a iRig BlueTurn bluetooth page flipper pedal
I have my iPad directly connected to the Helix via USB (and usb to lightning adapter).
The only thing you need to make sure of is that, in the OnSong Settings, you have MIDI enabled.
On the Helix make note of the MIDI Channel your Helix is assigned to (this can be assigned to any number)
and that your Helix is sending MIDI through USB in the Global Settings panel
1. Go to your Preset List page (push down on Preset knob) and select the preset you want to sync to OnSong
2. Take note of the MIDI info. There should be 3 groups of numbers. For my example, Semi-Charmed Life's group of numbers read CC32: 003 | PC: 045 | CC69: 000
3. CC32 is the Control Channel number. 003 is the bank or folder in that Control Channel (which is labeled 4 FD in my Preset List).
4. PC: 045 is the Program change number, or in my case, the song Preset number.
5. Basically, those numbers mean that Semi-Charmed Life is located in Control Channel 32 in Folder 3 as preset 45.
6. All of these settings are distributed through MIDI Channel 5; which was established earlier in the My Setup section.
**TAKE NOTE of the above parameters as you will be referencing those in the MIDI setup in OnSong**
1. Go to the song you want to sync in your Onsong app. For Reference, mine is Semi-Charmed Life
2. Press and hold on the Title of the song until the MIDI panel pops up
3. Add a MIDI command by clicking on the + icon in the bottom right of the popup
4. Hit the + icon and under TYPE, select Program. Under CHANNEL, select 5. Under the PROGRAM section below, select the preset number (which is 45 in my example). In the Bank section, we will leave Bank MSB alone and just change the Bank LSB to 3 (which is the bank/folder number my preset is located in
Set up those parameters for a couple songs and flip through your songs on your OnSong App. The corresponding Helix preset should change along with it. Once you get the hang of the settings, adding multiple songs becomes quite effortless.