Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Defective G50?

liambest

Just picked up my first wireless unit, Line 6 G50.

I turn on the unit, select the channel, receiver has 3 bars of green, then a number of seconds later the unit flashes 3 bars of red, then straight away goes back to a full 3 bars of green. Cycles through this infinitely. Tone sounds perfect when it works, a few seconds later cuts out, then comes back again.

Defective unit? I thought it was my WiFi killing the signal, but I killed the power to both of my WAPs and I still get the same issue. I'm not in a position to try it in a completely different location but if neighboring WiFi points can disrupt the signal THIS much I can't see myself EVER using a Line 6 wireless unit.

I thought I'd picked the right product after seeing some major artists using it in their stadium scale products but right now my unit is impossible to use at a gig.

Tried changing to every channel. Tried changing to RF1 mode.

I'm going to take it in to return the unit on Monday but I think it's safe to assume I have a defective product? Not what I expected for a $600 wireless unit.

The $600 price tag comes with living in Australia :(

I've also noticed that when the transmitter is off the receiver shows 1 bar of red on every channel, but as soon as I connect the receiver I get 3 bars of green instantly.

I'm about to try swapping out the batteries but the battery indicator on both the receiver and transmitter indicates it is a full/brand new battery (I used the ones that came in the box). Neither devices ever turn off so I doubt it is a power issue.

I've also read through the FAQ a few times and nothing seems particularly relevant to my issue.

Despite seeing a red bar when the transmitter is off, it still connects with no trouble when it is turned on and indicates a solid connection.

The connection never gets weak, it just completely dies and then comes back a few seconds later.

If it's new I'd recommend taking it back to the dealer and swapping it for another new one.

Cheers, will do. I literally bought it yesterday, brand new, sealed box. Had a gig last night so I was super keen to try it out but it was doing this as soon as I plugged it in.

It happens sometimes. Every unit is run through a bunch of tests at the factory. But sometimes shipping causes problems. Also new parts are most likely to fail in the first few hours of operation. It's a well known phenomenon with electronics and that's why factories provide warranties. The average failure rate for musical Instruments is about 2%. so if you buy 100 new pieces of electronic gear chances are that about 2 of them will have problems. The average for Line 6 wireless is about one half of one percent.

I have a unit that is a Couple months old that is doing the exact same thing as this one is doing in the video! It worked great but last night went rehearsal and it never did anything other than what the one in the video above

Any suggestion? Where do we send things for repair? Fyi I run the full stagescape system and hd500x so I'm a fan :)

• 1 month later...

All wireless units will act strangely in certain environments.It does not matter what the price point is .I use the G50 and have had almost no problems however today I was using it in a large club with lots of lights/ wi fi laptops/DJ stuff etc....and it cut out once for about half a second.

My only other suggestion is when you get another one throw the batteries it came with away.You dont know how long they have been in it and use brand new fresh batteries.

My G50 has the best tone of any wireless I have ever used I can hear every fingernail scratch lol!

A dropout once in a awhile is part of using a wireless.

I hope your next one works for you !!!

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

It happens sometimes. Every unit is run through a bunch of tests at the factory. But sometimes shipping causes problems. Also new parts are most likely to fail in the first few hours of operation. It's a well known phenomenon with electronics and that's why factories provide warranties. The average failure rate for musical Instruments is about 2%. so if you buy 100 new pieces of electronic gear chances are that about 2 of them will have problems. The average for Line 6 wireless is about one half of one percent.

Then I should start buying lottery tickets because I am 2 for 2 with failures on my 9 month old G50. Insult to injury is no one will respond to my support ticket!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...