Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New to the HD500 and have questions...

Tader

Hi all, I'm new to line 6 gear, got one of these the other day and thought I would pick your brains :)  I'm running a Vintage V100 Paradise into the pod then in to the clean channel on my FM65R (it also has effects loop send/return).  I have been messing around (having previously owned a Zoom G3) and am in the process of learning how to use it.  I play mostly reggae now and am in need of pointers, what would You guys put in a reggae patch on the HD500?  I'm not sure if I should go with pre or full amp model either, much more choice than the G3 :)

Run the pod output into the effect return of your amp.

Grab a funk patch off of customtone or make one with the Fender Twin model and enable the wah.I like to play Stir It Up etc... with a little edge so I set the amp gain just a bit on the hot side.

My approach is a bit different as I know most reggae guitar players play a pretty icepick clean Fender Twin type tone But I like a slight grit on mine.

Listen to some reggae you like and isolate the guitar with your ears and get as close as you can but remember to be yourself when creating tones.When people come to see you play live they will enjoy your interpretation of reggae tones more than sounding like a record.

Have Fun!!!

For doing any style on the HD500, not just Reggae... 

What did you use before the L6? 

Obviously, if you weren't using a Marshall with the gain cranked to 10, you wouldn't do that on the L6. 

So, I always tell people that Customtone is a good place to start. You may find the perfect patch, but you also may just come up with ideas based on things you like and things you don't like to be able to create your own patch. 

But, more important to get started --- just use what you already use. You used a wah before you got the L6, so set up a wah on the L6. You used a flanger, so use a flanger. If it was in your signal chain before, put it there now. 

THAT is an easy way to get started. 

Run the pod output into the effect return of your amp.

Grab a funk patch off of customtone or make one with the Fender Twin model and enable the wah.I like to play Stir It Up etc... with a little edge so I set the amp gain just a bit on the hot side.

My approach is a bit different as I know most reggae guitar players play a pretty icepick clean Fender Twin type tone But I like a slight grit on mine.

Listen to some reggae you like and isolate the guitar with your ears and get as close as you can but remember to be yourself when creating tones.When people come to see you play live they will enjoy your interpretation of reggae tones more than sounding like a record.

Have Fun!!!

The amp I'm using (Fender FM65R) does not have an FX loop, my bad didnt check before (but DOES have PRE out and PWR in.......can these be used?)  I love the amp, really nice cleans and spot on regarding the reggae patches, making some belters now, jammin in my living room to Max Romeo :)