Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Help with DT amp

Hey everyone I'm new here so here's a question

I have a 500HDx and a 25 watt DT.  I have used the line6 link and I'm not to thrill with that. So I ran the left output of the HD500x into the effects return of the DT. They way I have used line6 products practically since 96. Well for some reason you can change the channel switch from I II III and IV and it sounds different....a lot different??? Now I know that the pentode ,triode and class A to AB can change and affect the tone....BUT ....I made SURE that none of those where changing.

My thought is an effects loop SHOULD.....be just before the power amp and NONE of the amps knob should affect it...except maybe the master on certain amps.

Why is the channel switching affecting my tone?? Anyway to get around it?

Thanks 

When you change the topology (I,II,III,IV) you are changing the amp configuration between the 4 modeled amps.  It's like going into the effects return of 4 different amps.  Bypassing the preamp by going into the effects return should be similar to using the L6 link; the POD models the preamp section (assuming you're using the PRE models of the amps in the POD).

It should sound very different in each position.

Hopefully I got this right.

you really don't know the DT amp at all... sorry... not saying that to be mean....

but the I/II/III/IV is not a channel switch and yes they do sound very different on purpose....

you should be able to get the same thing out of the L6Link... but you 'd really need to learn the amp a bit in order to grasp it.

it's is a 2 channel amp... A and B. (standalone... nearly infinite channels if used properly with L6Link)

the other designations are topologies and they are programmed with very different settings and preamps.

again.... you aren't changing channels at all!!! and yes it will affect your tone... thats what it's for.

Check out the DT's MIDI implementation (download from Line 6 documentation page) to get a feel what you can do with the DT by itself (assuming you have latest DT FW).

The Type I-IV switch selects an amp configuration, which is made up of a preamp model, a power amp configuration, reverb and a couple other parameters (see MIDI).

Bypassing the preamp does not bypass the power amp config (or the MIC model for the XLR output).

Watch out for LVM, if you turn it on you are running a power amp model through a 'neutral' power amp stage and not the normal power amp stage.

Happy reading and experimenting,

Martin