Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MKII 112 volumes keeps cutting out by 50%

dehumanizer_666

For the last few months, my amp has been having volume issues. I'll be playing at whatever volume and after a minute or so. The volume cuts out about half. It's really frustrating and I can't seem to find the solution anywhere.

My warranty is up and I've replaced all 4 tubes hoping that was the reason. It sounds better but the problem still remains. I've check all the connections on the board to the dials and switches, thinking that there's a loose connection and nothing.

The amp is updated to the latest firmware and my guitar cables are pretty much brand new. The input jacks on my guitars aren't the problem either.

Has anyone had this problem or know a solution?

Thanks!

...I've check all the connections on the board to the dials and switches...

'Board' could mean Console Mixing Board or FBV Pedal Board.

If you are referring to one of the FBV Pedal Boards, check that the pedal isn't accidentally getting bumped by something. I prevent this by assigning the pedal volume it's maximum at all times (only using it for Wah). 

If you have active pickups in your guitar, it could be a bad battery. Replace battery or try an alternate guitar.

It could also be an intermittent bad pickup, which I have experienced over the years of live playing.

It wouldn't be the pick ups nor the batteries. They've been replaced a couple months ago and I have one guitar without active pickups and it still cuts out. By board, I mean the main board in the amp. I do have a FBV but disconnected it thinking that it could be the problem.

Sounds like the old vibration problem. When you crank these combo amps they sound awesome but the Achilles heel is the knobs move ever so slightly which changes the volume and/or tone. Solution? Be sure to have the FBV plugged in to change channels, crank it up, then turn all of the knobs except the Presence and Master Volume to ZERO.Now change the channels using the footswitch. We call this "Zero Parking" Good luck, hope this helps!!

• 1 year later...

this is a straight-up bug in this SpiderValve MKII..   the amp may be toast at this point. snap, crackle and pop, blow your ears out. and if any Line6 tech on these boards don't realize this issue is prevalent, that is yet another bummer.

there should have been a firmware fix for this years ago. 

Hello Sports Fans Big mose here with an solution you might find useful. All of a sudden my Spider valve MKII 1 12 started malfunctioning. The treble control was controlling the channel volume, the amp model knob was switching between mods without my permission, to make an interestingly almost long saga short my genius buds at Nashville Amp Service switched out three pots, the treble, channel volume and Amp mod pot. Everything is back to normal. Bad pot equals no control in this case . hope this helps