Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

New bass amps/cabs

duncann

Haven't heard much talk about the new bass amps and cabs, for the purposes of bass.

After playing around with them for a few days, I gotta say they really are awesome. I especially like the 410 Rhino cab. The 810 Beast is nice, and better than what was already there, but not as good as the 410 Rhino.

The amps are both very nice and equally easy to work with. Both are about the same in terms of sonic quality, and are much better than the Flip-Top. One of them even has its own amp DEPs, the G Cougar 800, with boost and contour. Although the contour control confuses me a little. The actual amp has three settings for this, called voicing filters: lo cut, mid, and hi boost. Not sure if each of these can be activated independent of the others, or only one at a time on the actual amp, but the model seems to have only two settings, up to 50%, and above 50%. My guess is they are the mid contour and hi boost. The low cut can be taken care of by the lo-cut cab dep I guess.

Previously, I've used pretty much one patch, with minor tweaks depending on the song, for all my bass needs. It used 3 EQs, 2 tube comps, two amps, and reverb. That uses up effectively all of the DSP on a 500X. With the new stuff, I was able to construct a patch that is very similar sounding, but also clearer, more defined, and with more body and definition. I did this using only one tube comp, one amp, and one reverb. Very impressed.

Good work Line 6.

Thanks for this review!  I don't play bass much, but the bass player in my band has been using my POD for recording, so I might invest in this.  I've been wondering if it's worth it, but you might have convinced me!

Hi dunncan,

I too am digging the Krugar and cabs Much much smoother, less lumpy then FlipTop.

I don't like the breakup gain but am considering it as a dual patch ala Billy Sheehan  Often insert a distortion dual path on my HD500  but with what you have mentioned is good to know as far as getting results versus dsp with the new models.

Cheers

Hi dunncan,

I too am digging the Krugar and cabs Much much smoother, less lumpy then FlipTop.

I don't like the breakup gain but am considering it as a dual patch ala Billy Sheehan  Often insert a distortion dual path on my HD500  but with what you have mentioned is good to know as far as getting results versus dsp with the new models.

Cheers

I'm not fond of a distorted bass, so I've found that keeping the gain at 30 or below (on the SVT bright), with the master dep around 50, or even slightly above, produces a nice clean tone, just at the edge of breaking up.

Haven't tried, but now that you mention it, a nice clean tone mixed with a distortion effect via dual paths would go well together...

For live I have an awesome Fender BXR 400watt dual amp. It is solid state and about the tone of

the old Peavey heads It is not a MarkBass or any of those modern bass amps that have extra extended tone.

I can get it sounding nice and tight sounding as the 15" cab has plenty of low down.

On some jams and got another coming up in a few weeks I'll use my HD500 into 50 watt practice amp and a split to a 

nice little Gorilla distortion Amp just to add some grit and sustain and a bit of volume. 

I am hoping to try it with some HD FX into the distortion amp or as a dual patch panned to amp and keep the bass amp clean.

I have tried this out a few times and so long as the distortion is background it is great.

After looking at a rig rundown of Living Color I got more willing to try FX with bass. 

It really depends on who you are playing with as it can be distracting or take on a more solo role. hehehe

One of the hardest sounds is a Bass in the room sound done with a modeler or in-the-box but with a good preamp

and analogue compression on the way in and some exciter harmonics with EQ and verb in the mix, it can get that nice bottom end.

I am willing to give the HD a shot at it when next in the studio.

Incidentally, your bass tones duncann have been just great, really cut well in the mix. Nice pick attack!

Incidentally, your bass tones duncann have been just great, really cut well in the mix. Nice pick attack!

Thanks! Could be due to the pick, a nice heavy 1.4mm Dunlop Ultex Sharp. That in combination with the strings, which are Dean Markley Helix stainless steel.

I don't know how bass players can use their fingers, it always boggles me when I see that.

Thanks! Could be due to the pick, a nice heavy 1.4mm Dunlop Ultex Sharp. That in combination with the strings, which are Dean Markley Helix stainless steel.

I don't know how bass players can use their fingers, it always boggles me when I see that.

I use a pick as well, but I have to use a lighter one the orange dunlop (63mm I think) cause a heavy one rattles the strings to much (I have a heavy pick hand on both guitar and bass)

Rarely play with a pick I mostly use my two or three fingers and thumb for slap.

Some styles on my acoustic bass with a more classical fingering.

I feel I can get better rock feel with a fingered tone.

Pick is fine but I am not as good with one

Rarely play with a pick I mostly use my two or three fingers and thumb for slap.

Some styles on my acoustic bass with a more classical fingering.

I feel I can get better rock feel with a fingered tone.

Pick is fine but I am not as good with one

It's what you get used to I suppose.. I've not had a bass that long and coming from guitar, a pick is just natural... and waaay faster for me than trying to use my fingers

It's what you get used to I suppose.. I've not had a bass that long and coming from guitar, a pick is just natural... and waaay faster for me than trying to use my fingers

Exactly the same here. Every time I attempt to use my fingers, it always ends in quite the disaster.

Plus a pick presents the opportunity for more types of attack, or even a combo using pick and finger with two strings.

I got to admit with work being so busy, I rarely get a chance to play and get on here to satisfy me.LOL

Work is full on which is good too.

But I did get a chance to try out the amps last night after you bringing up the subject dunncan.

I got a lot of success with the SVT's The hiss on bright ch is a bit much but lowering the gain helps.

I am really liking these too.

On the Kruger amp with the breakup that was from my patch and not the amp after all. The amp remains clean

but a little hiss comes in at high gains.

I am pleased as now the unit is perfectly fine for recording bass with and makes the upgrade totally worth it.

I'm definitely glad I got the packs. I can't say I notice any hiss from these amps. Don't even use a noise gate. But I keep the drive fairly low at 30. These amps are also an instance where I put the resonance at zero.

Briefly tried the the Shiva also. It was nice and might be a good replacement for the treadplate or f-ball.

I find turning up the thump and cab res pleasing.

At first, I cranked the resonance, with the thump increased quite a bit too. I liked the effect, it added a lot of body. But I had to change my mind because I was able to put res at zero and achieve the same full body, but with slightly better clarity and definition. Also, I noticed with the resonance cranked, there was a certain harshness present if listened to really close.

I forgot precisely how I did this, but it was probably a combination of stuff:

1. Increasing the threshold slightly on the tube compressor before the amp. This seems to have the effect of the decreasing volume slightly but also increasing the apparent low end dynamics.

2. Changing the mid freq to the lowest setting (I think there's three, no more than that). This lowers the frequency. Not sure exactly what the frequencies are though.

3. Increased the mid slightly, and backed off the bass slightly.

I am really digging the SVT/8x10... I am running both side of the Chapman Stick into the HD-500x... This goes into my QSC K12's and the Ksub!! the amp modeling is really great. Have yet to use the GK model. I am also liking the Roland Jazz Chorus model for the melody side of the Stick as well. I have a few patches where I am running it mono, with both sides having the same effects as well. Love this pedal board!