Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G30 Newbie questions

PRSGuy

Hi all,

I just bought a G30 (arrives Tuesday) and in the pilot's manual it says to use alkaline over rechargeable. Why? I want to use rechargeable for obvious reasons. I gig quite a bit and would rather not have to buy 3000 batteries a year. :rolleyes:

So is rechargeable AOK?

Also, what is the real life expectancy of the batteries for a 4 hour night?

Finally, all the talk about the battery compartment door, anything preventative I should consider?

thanks!

i'm using rechargeable batteries. the only disadvantage is that you can't rely on the battery meter anymore due to the way it reports the current charge. i'm using panasonic eneloop pro and it lasted for a total of around8 hours. up to the moment it died, the battery meter was displaying 3 bars.

• 1 month later...

Well having used it at a few gigs...this thing works really, really great. one set of batteries easily does a full night...I am quite pleased. It sounds great...

I decided to go the rechargeable battery route as well....seems most cost effective.

I have it connected to my HD500 direct to the PA and it sounds super! The only cons so far are the door construction for the batteries and the belt clip...which has been mentioned a million times. It is true, they are quite fragile. I use a pouch connected to my guitar strap to help with those issues, and it works great.

I just thought I would report back after trying the thing out.

• 1 month later...

Did you notice much of a change in tone ... I have a tuner/pedal board after my G30 then into my HD500 then into the board. I mainly use an SG which has a nice dark tone and now my new G30 is really brightening up that tone; which i don't want it to do, I've tried the cable setting but to no avail. Do you have any suggestions?/ Thanks!

I go direct into the HD500 from the G30 (no tuner / pedal board in between) out the XLRs to FOH. I have not tried mucking with the cable setting either, I was content with the sound from the get go. Have you tried putting the G30 direct into the HD500 and comparing the sound that way? Maybe the tuner / pedal board is introducing some changes? It is probably far fetched but eliminate the variables I guess. Also are you running to an amp etc?

A simple test is to go guitar->G30->HD500->headphones and see if you notice any changes plugged with a cable versus G30 in the headphones...if no change that way, you can try to find what additional equipment might be the problem. If you do hear changes I am not sure what it could be...hopefully someone else has some ideas.

good luck!

No, I run same as u; last in the chain being HD500 XLRs to MixingBoard staight to FOH and side monitors (no amps anywhere in our set up, all digital) but, I do have a heavy duty pedal board right after the G30 that send a mono signal to the HD500 ... I tried your suggestions but still sounds very sparkly; some guys would dig that but it doesn't suit our synth-heavy stuff ... Thanks for your suggestions!