Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Wtf Is That Dsp Thing Everyone's Talking About?

genaearon

it's just a slower processor... it's limited when the current processor is working at capacity....

the new HD500x will also be limited... just a a higher capacity... which is more models... (it could have been higher quality models i suppose... higher quality requires higher processor capabilities too)

it's just like opening alot of programs on your computer... things get real slow...

the firmware on the pods do not allow things to get slow... because the quality would get bad...

You only get so much of it. I think of it like RAM in a computer. Some models (effects or amps) use more DSP than others.

When you're creating a patch, you may get a message that says something like, "DSP limit reached." Then you have to take something out to make room for the new effect or amp.

Here's a chart on which models take more DSP than others:

http://line6.com/support/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-405634-123729/DSP+usage.JPG

• Upvote 1

depends on your amp, and your reverb, and all those other choices...

i know you can put together an effects chain like that easy enough....

you may have to compromise here and there though.

so i cannot have my full amp with, reverb, delay, chorus and some other stuff at the same time?

but you can have them turned off... but selected...

kind of adding all the effects to a chain but just have some on and some off and turn them on when you like

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way. It doesn't matter if you have an effect on or off at the time. If it has the potential to go over the DSP limit with all of the effects in your chain on, you won't be able to do it.

I didn't know that, thought you could have your amp + 8 effects..

You can have your amp + UP TO 8 effects, depending on your amp and effect choices. You couldn't have 8 Spring Reverbs for example, as they use a lot of DSP. Most common combinations are fine though.

so... you can choose an amp like you would choose an effect? with one of the footswitches?

If you have two amps in a chain, you can set up a footswitch to switch between them if that's what you mean.

Otherwise, you can use footswitches 5-8 to select patches A through D in each patch bank (there are 16 banks of 4 patches for for each set-list)