Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

DT50 212, Voicing 1 Ch A, Bass Control

mharley

I purchased a Demo (like new) DT50, 212.  Voicing 1, Ch A works in an odd manner.  If every knob is on the off (or counter clockwise) position, except the volume.  The amp is silent.  Voicing 1/ch B and in all other voicings, it plays perfectly, but with the expected differences.  If I increase the level of the drive knob, the volume comes up with distortion increases and the knob is rotated.  That seems good so far, However, with the drive fully counter clockwise, if I increase the level on the bass knob, the overall volume begins to increase (from silent) but distorted at the exact level and rate as the drive knob, but with an ever increase bass tone as well. 

So to rephrase, the bass has to be on at some level to get any sound at all, but, the bass has drive distortion.  with both the drive and bass on the channel is basically overdriven.  It is impossible to get a clean tone on voicing 1, ch A

My questions are, would a factory reset or firmware upgrade change that?  Has anyone ever seen such a thing

Thank you for taking the time to read this,

Mike

I never looked at it as closely as you have here. What I do know is that this amp isn't your ordinary tube amp and the behavior your describing may be normal. I know my DT50HD behaves similar to your findings but I would have to go through everything you did there to verify. I'll try soon.

I just tried out the scenario you described in your post.

With Master volume and both Channel volumes all the way up, there is no sound from either channel.

Turning up the Drive pot produces a clean output.

Turning up the Bass pot produces a bass output. Clearly different from the Drive output and a completely separate tone.

Moving to the Mid, Treble or Presence pots individually produce progressively less output than the Bass pot.

Channels A and B respond the same way.

It could be a hardware issue I suppose, but I would reset the amp. It is easy, quick and can't hurt.

Engage the topology switch down and the Pentode/Triod switch up (pinch them together), then turn on the power switch. Hold the topology and Pentode/Triod switches together for about 10 seconds or so, until you see one of the topology Roman numerals light up. Then you can release the topology and Pentode/Triod switches. 

Let us know how it works out.

That did it, thank you.  I spoke with Line 6 today and they did not mention that.  They said I should upgrade the firmware.  The dealership had no idea at all. 

It is exactly what I was expecting.  Except louder!  lol  How sweet it is.

Thanks again.

That did it, thank you.  I spoke with Line 6 today and they did not mention that.  They said I should upgrade the firmware.  The dealership had no idea at all. 

Thanks again.

Glad to hear you got working. Come to think of it I never really used my DT50 with the original firmware I always just checked it first thing 'cause I love to update stuff, lol, besides I couldn't resist getting all the amp, cabs and other options that they said came with the updated firmware.

Anayway, it's always a relief to hear it was something simple.

Thanks again.

Just so you know, with the version 2.0 firmware update you can "Create never-before-heard amp tones by pairing any of 30 HD preamps with any combination of dynamic topologies within Reinhold Bogner’s reconfigurable tube power amp."

You can read all about it here: 

http://line6.com/dtv2update/

You can use the MIDI commands from the DT Amplifier MIDI Implementation Guide found here:

http://line6.com/support/manuals/dt50112

If you have a POD HD, you don't need to use a separate MIDI connection.

Enjoy!

• Upvote 1