Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Who rates the tones?

Varialogue1

Thanks mcbeddall.

Without coming across as a slightly unhinged conspiracy theorist, does that mean the tone creator could rate their own creation and in the absence of anyone else honestly rating it, they can convince us that their tone is immaculate, even though my ears tell me otherwise? I try my best to judge the tones as I find them but I know those alluring stars will always distort my view slightly. If I take a 5 star tone for a spin and it sounds terrible, rather than dismiss it completely, I find myself hypnotised by those stars and hopelessly drawn back to it ad infinitum. Does anyone else feel to be utterly at the mercy of the stars?

I think you should consider the ratings to be relative rather than absolute. In other words, you are more likely (but not guaranteed) to find a tone rated 4 better to your ears than a tone rated 3. But both might actually feel and sound more like a 2 to you. On the other hand, you might consider a tone rated 2 to be great.

There are too many other variables that affect the final sound that you hear in your environment, with your equipment, to make tone rating much more than a relative hit and miss. If someone has created and posted their tone using a Gibson Les Paul with the output mode set to amp, and you are playing the tone using a Tele going direct to PA ..... the tone won't likely sound to you the way it sounds to the creator.

I suggest you consider all tones in Customtone to be a potential starting point for your own tweaking. Use the (probably few) ones you find reasonably good - regardless of their rating - and don't fret about some highly rated tones that you think sound like crap.

Yeah totally agree with that, the tones I've created for use live through an amp sound horribly thin and weak when using headphones but great through my amp, so I created 2 versions of all my sounds, an "amp version" and a "direct" version for recording. Similarly the tones I've created for the studio sound awful and muddy when I play them through my amp.

I tend to try most of the tones listed when I do a search for a starting point, I usually jump straight to the higher rated ones but more often than not I end up using something else

Like any art it's entirely subjective, one man's van Halen is another man's van gogh lol

Wise words. Makes sense. I will approach the tones as you suggest from this day forward. I'm probably lazy by nature and want these tones perfect as they are but I'll have to start tweaking. I love my Firehawk and it's only natural that I criticize that which I love.