Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

6 POD X3/HD500x/Line 6 Pro

marcofurtado

Hi guys

I'm new to the site and I've been playing guitar for about 2 years.

I own a humble setup (Epiphone Les Paul 100 and a HT5-R amp) and I'm now exploring the realm of pedals and multi effect pods.

I've been reading about the line 6 POD X3, the HD500x and Line 6 Pro and it will be cool if you could get some feedback from the community about which one of those 3 would suit me the best.

To be honest I don't know if they're too good just for home use because I just play guitar in my house to my self or with a couple of friends.... That's why I'm looking for something to plug into my amp or to my pc to enhance my experience and also to explore the recording side of the pods.

Thanks for the feedback!

Cheers! 

If you have the $ the HD series is great for recording, is still supported and can be bought new (meaning warranty). I still play and use the XT/X3 series too but the HD expansion packs let my favorite X3 amps return (in the HD series) so the XT/X3 stuff is not used as much (jamming and such mainly now). 

BUT if you are new to MFX and editing them, the XT/X3s are IMO easier to use. The HD does have a longer yet more rewarding curve. :)

Please note: None of my opinions are taking into consideration Win10 which people are having some issues with.

Hope that helps.

Bill

So I'm going into the HD series! Is there a big difference in terms of sound between the HD500x and the HD pro X?

No difference at all they use the same sound engine in both.

Or the almost 200$ difference in price is because of the form factor and I/O options?

Yes.

Thanks for the feedback!

One other thing regarding the HD pods. I read somewhere that if I ran the HD500x in front of the amp it would be advised to disable the amp modeling. 

But if I use the so called 4 cable method to connect with the amp, is it recommended to disable the amp modeling anyway? I have a Blackstar HT5-R and one of the things I was looking for in the POD HD 500x was the chance to try the amp models...

I'm afraid that if I plug the HD500x to my amp (regardless of the method) it will make my sound muddy...

I usually run the HD into the "in" of the amp's FX loop (or use a Tech 21 PE 60 which is basically the same thing). Sounds great to me. The only time I've used it going in the front is with small practice amps that didn't have a fx loop. I just dial the amps tone flat with no gain to get it as neutral as it will go. Sounds ok, but it is only for small room practice. Everything is set to Studio Direct.

I can't comment much on the 4CM as I rarely use it.

-B

Thanks again Bill

I've read somewhere that the HD 500x runs very smoothly through the cube amps (the20 x for example). I have one around the house so I'll give it a whirl. 

I think that I'll buy the HD500x, try to run it in the FXloop of my Blackstar HT5 amp and if I'm not happy with the result, I'll buy a studio monitor. It seems that running it through a studio monitor is the best low cost way to get a great experience from the HD500x.

Since I live on a small island in the middle of the Atlantic with only one guitar shop (represented by boss), I have to buy everything online, so I have no chance to try the stuff before purchasing it. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Good luck my man and I hope you enjoy the HD series as much as I. A buddy of mine was running his Digitech RP250 through a 60 watt Cube and it sounded great when mic'd for the PA (I don't remember the amp model though). Just dial it in as clean as you can and let your ears be the judge.

Being on an island would have a few drawbacks I guess :)

-B