Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Amplifi and Shortboard MkII- manual on how to change tones wrong?

StevSmar

Item 14 of the Amplifi TT manual says:

14. FBV Input - Plug in a Line 6 FBVTM Express or FBV Shortboard MkII here. The following functionality Is supported:

• PresetABCDselect

• TapTempoandTuner

• Expressionpedalcontrolofassignedparameters

• Turnindividualeffectsonandoffwithinapreset*

• Accessandswitchbetween25built-inpresetbanks*

* This functionality is only available with an FBV Shortboard MKII.

I purchased the Shortboard MkII so that I could switch between the 25 tone banks.

Other threads suggest that the Shortboard MkII can only switch between the 4 tones which are in the one bank on the Amplifi hardware.

This suggests that the above excerpt from the AmplifiTT manual is incorrect?

If I use the up and down buttons the display on the Shortboard MkII always comes back to presetbank 1. It momentarily shows a different preset-bank and then defaults back to presetbank 1.

The Shortboard's A/B/C/D switches work as expected but Shortboard's UP and DOWN switches don't appear to do anything?

The FBV Shortboard Mk II does allow you to access ALL the 24 banks of presets as well as the 25th bank which is for "User Presets". I assigned

Bank 25 Position 1 with the tone for lead on "Hotel California". I can access that tone and was able to access that tone even during the fiasco with

the iOS9.x debacle. When I received my FBV Shortboard Mk II, and it was right before the iOS9.x debacle, I read the instructions and it advised me to upgrade the Firmware for it right away, which I did using "Line 6 Monkey" and my laptop via USB.

Thanks Usanavychiefret, Yeh, I should have read the manual. Feeling a bit stupid, since I'm normally so anal about doing that...

I'm still confused by the whole Amplifi Remote tone bank thing. From what I'm reading the Amplifi TT only has one tone bank of memory, so I'm concluding that the Shortboard MkII uses its internal memory to provide the memory for 24-25 tone banks and loads the tones into the Amplifi as they are selected. What confuses me is the user selected tone bank, how does the Shortboard MkII access that?

Looking forward to experimenting more and working this thing out!

The Shortboard MKII is an interface only.  So it only interacts with the amp, and doesn't store or save anything.

The preset tones are all stored in the Amplifi.  The Tone buttons on the front of the Amplifi TT only control the A/B/C/D presets of Bank 1, however the other tones are stored on the amp and are accessible by either the app or the Shortboard.  It's the same with the Amplifi 75/150 amps.

In order to have access to the presets though, you have to upgrade the firmware to the latest version.  After upgrading, you should see the presets on your amp by using the app:

IMG_0069.jpg

My Shortboard wasn't plugged in when I took that screenshot and you can see that the presets are all there.

It only takes about 5 minutes to update the firmware using the PC/Mac update utility, which can be found here:  http://line6.com/software/

I get a similar screen, I can switch between the presets within each bank, but I believe the Amplifi Remote is downloading each tone as its selected?

I've updated the Amplifi TT's firmware. I've yet to update the Shortboard MkII firmware.

Once I've updated them both I'll report back.

Thanks for the help!