Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about the looper

GlennDeLaune

I noticed when I engage the looper and record a loop and let it play, then when I add FX to play on top of it (within the same patch) the FX are added to the recorded loop. I want to be able to, for example, play and record a loop using my Variax on an acoustic model and let that loop play and then play over the top of that loop with let's say a Les Paul model that I manually change with some delay and chorus that are already assigned to footswitches.

To do what you describe you should have the Looper in POST position. Sounds like you have it in PRE position.

Note that the footswitch labels/text on the Looper display screen tell you what the result of pressing the footswitch will be. In other words, it shows the opposite of the current setting. Weird, but that's the way it is.

Note that the footswitch labels/text on the Looper display screen tell you what the result of pressing the footswitch will be. In other words, it shows the opposite of the current setting. Weird, but that's the way it is.

HD500X works this way; Helix is different (by design) and displays both states—the current state is lit; the alternate state is dim.

Oops.. Thanks for the correction. Don't know why I was thinking of the Hd500 when I answered in the Helix thread!

It was one of those things that one person in one user interview casually mentioned as being vaguely less-than-optimal in HD500, which triggered a flurry of internal "yeah, that's always bugged us too!" conversations. Helix is the result of seemingly hundreds of situations like this. No stone left unturned.  :)

The other thing that was a better on the HD500x is that you could easily switch the looper from pre to post with one knob, with Helix you have to move the block around. It's more flexible but in practice not so great as you often want to switch between using a looper pre while tweaking your sound, yet use the looper post for you know... looping some chords. Being able to have multi looper blocks (even if only one is available at once) in one preset would be a way to get around it.