Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Need help for son's birthday with recording from POD hd500

Hey, I'm new to the forum but only here for some help in getting a setup for my son's birthday present.  He wants to record his guitar through his POD hd500.  Here is what I already have.

PC

Mac (with garageband)

USB cord (just purchased online today)

I have about $500 to finish this out.  I am clueless when it comes to this.  I just know this is what my son wants.  So, as simply as possible, could someone walk me through what I should purchase and how to set it up?  Thanks in advance. 

You don't need to purchase anything else, assuming you have some sort of audio playback system for your Mac that includes reasonable speakers. I would use your Mac rather than PC simply because you already have Garageband. If you want to use your PC you will need to obtain an audio recording program.

You will need to download and install the HD500 driver for Mac systems (see Downloads section of this website, under the Support tab at top of this page. Select HD500 as the product, Drivers as the software, and select your Mac OS type).

After installing the driver connect your HD500 to the Mac using the usb cable (a cable was included with the HD500 if you bought it new). Run Garageband. It should recognize the HD500 as its audio interface. Use the Garageband help features to learn how to record guitar.

Do you have a pair of headphones? If  so you could connect them to the HD500 headphones output. You could use them and not need any speakers at all, but then nobody could listen to the recording without using the headphones.

Do you have any sort of external speakers connected to your Mac? If so you could connect them to the HD500 outputs instead. You may need to visit any local audio store and purchase adapters. Typically, external speakers connect to the Mac with an 1/8" small stereo jack. You will need to adapt that to a pair of 1/4" jacks on the HD500. The store staff will be able to help you get what you need.

If you don't have any external computer speakers, or if your son wants to get more into recording at a later time, you may want to invest in good quality studio monitors to connect to the HD500. But that will be several hundred dollars. I would start with a pair of $100 external speakers first and upgrade later if it proves to be more than a fleeting interest.

You're a good parent!