Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Routing and footswitch layouts for electric & acoustic

floyd99

hi all, considering taking the plunge to get a helix to replace a combination of gear.

i think the answer to all this is yes, but i'd just like to confirm.  

I have electric plus acoustic instruments.  I use stompbox pedals now and don't need the complexity of patch changes.. so I'd be running the helix in stompbox mode, and a single preset to house everything I need.  Basically some effects and an amp/cab.

Currently depending on type of gig, I use a real tube amp, sometimes i use a Tech21 sansamp and direct to PA for electrics and always direct to PA for acoustics.

If i'm using acoustics, i'd like them routed to the PA using a different channel so the audio guys can mix the electric and acoustics separately.

Can I;

Electric - Path 1 - guitar input - effects & drive blocks, amp, cab etc - Output to XLR & 1/4" outs PANNED LEFT --> helix left output either direct to PA or to tube amp (if going to tube amp, i'd just bypass the amp/cab blocks.  This means everything on the board remains the same, just no amp/cab - simpler for me)

Acoustics - Path 2 - AUX input - reverb effect block - Output to XLR & 1/4" outs PANNED RIGHT --> helix right output direct to PA

I'd like to be able to mute the acoustics when not in use.  This will enable me to unplug when not in use or change instruments.  So can i have one of the stomp footswitches set to silently mute/unmute path 2 output?  

Electric doesn't matter as I would have a volume pedal in the electric path (only) and heel the volume to mute.  This basically mimics what i'm doing now.

If there's a better way to achieve what i'm after please let me know. Hopefully this makes sense.

Cheers

Dave

I'm not sitting in front of a unit just now but what you describe sounds perfectly feasible and is fairly similar to how I run (albeit with the Variax instead of the acoustic)

The only thing I would change is I would use a path and a half for the electrics (i.e Path 1A 1B and 2A) and reserve 2B for the acoustic as it needs much less processing, You can also stick an acoustic body IR (like the Taylor one that is floating about) and mix it with your piezo signal for great results

thanks for your response !

I still haven't got my head around the paths and inputs.  I didn't realise you could give 2B is own different input and output.  So what you say makes sense if that's the case.

Given that.. my next question leading on from that is could I use the MIC input (for a banjo using condensor mic) into its own path on 2A and direct that to the same output as the acoustic on 2B?

Also, how is footswitch muting of those paths individually best achieved?  

Where i'm getting at there is:  if I was sharing an output for both 2A and 2B, i can't bypass the output to mute, as one would affect the other (??). And, muting the input is problematic as that would stop being able to tune.   So, would I just have a volume block in each path and set the footswitch to toggle the volume parameter from 0 to 100?  

:)

Lets deal with the muting first

You can mute any signal path at any point using multiple methods. (Almost) anything that can be altered can be assigned to a footswitch. So you can have a volume pedal block that goes to 0 on footswitch press for example (as you surmised) 

The tuner would be unaffected I imagine as it is first in the chain (but I would need to test this to say 100%)

I didn't realise you could give 2B its own input until 2 weeks ago :) it is a little convoluted but easy to do. In terms of what you can input yes you can give that path over to the mic input and out put it panned right via the XLRs

Thanks fukuri!!

Got my helix tonight and I've been playing. I have my electric set up using guitar input (only) to 1a, 1b and 2a. Then I have 2b solely dedicated for the acoustic with its own separate input (aux) and dedicated output plus a footswitch to mute it.

It did take me a while to figure out how to get the paths separated. It's not very intuitive and the manual doesn't mention you can do it. But, it can!

Absolutely perfect!

Only prob is for practicing with headphones I need to pan both outputs to centre, but that's okay. Easy enough to change back to pan left and right for the two outputs. Once I have a patch that works for me and I'm happy I can then just copy it and make versions for practice, live with amp, live without amp etc.

Sounds ok in headphones, real test will be a live situation....

post-561563-0-21297500-1454503591_thumb.jpeg

The only thing I would change is I would use a path and a half for the electrics (i.e Path 1A 1B and 2A) and reserve 2B for the acoustic as it needs much less processing, You can also stick an acoustic body IR (like the Taylor one that is floating about) and mix it with your piezo signal for great results

YES! DO THIS.

Looks like you'll be able to do everything you want with the Helix.

I run acoustic and electric at the same time (same guitar). I use an EXP for the volume up and down on the acoustic (and electric) but you can most certainly use a footswitch instead.