Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix - Legacy Variax communication

eenymason

OK, so before people start giving me the "Line 6 doesn't talk about what may be in the pipeline" lecture, let me just say I'm not interested in other competitors' products on offer, as I use the ability  to control my Vaxplants' patches via VDI and Pod HD500. The flexibility this gives me in a live band situation far outweighs the shortcomings of this digital technology (feel, latency, etc.) It's not perfect, but's close enough for all my intents and purposes.

What I'd like to know, after seeing some vague "formal" reply to this question some months back, is anything in the pipeline? :rolleyes:

Come on you guys, there is NO COMPETITION in this area, so 'fess up and let me know one way or the other, so I can accept it and move on. If the HD500X (only supporting JTV or Standard Variax with relation to Workbench), is the level of the bar right now, then I'm guessing it's never going to happen (with Helix). I'm stuck with my (2) HD500s and (2) Vaxplants until something bricks itself.

Of course, I'm perfectly willing to accept that it WILL happen, even if you can't really give me a concrete time-frame. I'm well aware you're working on bug-fixes, and software/s to release, and numerous other things.....

Line 6 doesn't talk about ..........😎😜

Seriously, it's part way there in the current Helix firmware. I remember testing this with my Variax 300 and was pleasantly surprised to find that Helix was able to store Variax model settings in the same way as if a JTV were connected, recall that setting with the preset, and properly reset the 300 model to the stored value. So communication from Helix to the 300 seemed to work, at least on my equipment. You just have to make the setting manually in the preset because......

Communication from the 300 to Helix does not work. Manually changing models on the 300 is not properly reflected in the Helix preset. It made the Variax settings display page on Helix go crazy with gibberish.

So give it a try. You may find it has the same limited 1-way capabilities already on your equipment.

I suggested to Line 6 that they complete this implementation to enhance product value and appeal. But, Line 6 doesn't talk about ..........😎😜

Line 6 doesn't talk about ..........

Seriously, it's part way there in the current Helix firmware. I remember testing this with my Variax 300 and was pleasantly surprised to find that Helix was able to store Variax model settings in the same way as if a JTV were connected, recall that setting with the preset, and properly reset the 300 model to the stored value. So communication from Helix to the 300 seemed to work, at least on my equipment. You just have to make the setting manually in the preset because......

Communication from the 300 to Helix does not work. Manually changing models on the 300 is not properly reflected in the Helix preset. It made the Variax settings display page on Helix go crazy with gibberish.

So give it a try. You may find it has the same limited 1-way capabilities already on your equipment.

I suggested to Line 6 that they complete this implementation to enhance product value and appeal. But, Line 6 doesn't talk about ..........

Thanks for confirming both the "part-way there firmware situation", and also the schtum method. Don't mention the war.....

Now to find a local dealer to visit with vaxplant in hand........