Looking to repaint my 700 when I get it in a couple of months, and I found a site that offers amazing prices if you ship it to them: the only catch is they want you to send it to them the guitar body with no hardware or electronics.

Which wouldn't raise concern if I wasn't a complete novice with guitar disassembly/modding, but alas XD

Now I'm not expecting guitar disassembly/reassembly to be rocket science, but just how difficult and risky is it to go through with a procedure like this? Don't want to wreck my Variax just to change the color here, being a guitar tech noobie with a modeling guitar and all.

Have someone with experience with the product do the dismantling.

An anti-static set-up will be required, digital boards in general, typically

have CMOS chips on them, and are susceptible to damage from any

static discharges.

Keep the circuit boards in anti-static bags while your guitar is at the painter.

• Upvote 1

Thank you! I figured it would've been more complicated than that, I mean it's like I'm taking a Jaguar apart here  :lol:

Anti-static is a very obvious thing to go through when working with computers in general, but previously working on my 600, the board is pretty durable.

The 600 has a coffin case though so it's easy to extract, the 700 on the other hand does not. That could present a problem with handling the circuit boards, as said about the static.

Good luck on your project.

• Upvote 1

I got in touch with a local business that works on repairing and customizing guitars, they're gonna help me take it apart and ship the body to someone they know (it's a very special type of paint): I'll definitely post pics when I get it finished!