Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Active Pickups (EMG SAs) into Aux or Guitar Input?

billlorentzen

In the manual it says active pickups for guitar and bass should be plugged into the aux input. EMG SAs are the single coil model which came out in the '80s or so, and are just slightly hotter than regular humbuckers - these are not hi gain metal pups.

I just got my Helix and I'm still sussing things like this out. Anyone else using these pups and have any advice about them? I know it's about impedance, but I don't know much beyond that - I've always plugged them into regular guitar inputs.

In the manual it says active pickups for guitar and bass should be plugged into the aux input. EMG SAs are the single coil model which came out in the '80s or so, and are just slightly hotter than regular humbuckers - these are not hi gain metal pups.

I just got my Helix and I'm still sussing things like this out. Anyone else using these pups and have any advice about them? I know it's about impedance, but I don't know much beyond that - I've always plugged them into regular guitar inputs.

I have one guitar with EMG SA(X) pups. Plug it into the guitar input as normal with the auto impedance. All goodness. 

I've been plugging all my active-equipped guitars into the guitar input with the pad engaged; haven't noticed any issues.

What is a pad and how do you engage it?

Also. Is there any problem with plugging my passive pickup guitars into the aux?

• Upvote 1

Yup, I run my Stingray bass into the normal guitar input, no problems. In fact it sounded weird in the aux (the different impedence changed the tone a bit) and I couldn't drive the SVT model as hard, so I put it right back in the guitar input.

Also. Is there any problem with plugging my passive pickup guitars into the auxiliary input?

With my semi hollow with passive hums, it cut highs. It was night and day - totally dull. However, my EMGs sounded fine in the aux, and didn't overdrive amps as quickly.