Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HELIX vs HD500X comparison

duncann

Yep thats it.

I wonder how a guitar that combines this with the compensated nut would fair...

Ha. Good question. Seems like it would be redundant to the point of the methods interfering with each other. So I guess it would come down to which method works better? Certainly the curved frets would be more expensive since you'd need an entirely new neck.

Or if you wanna go all the way order a TT neck from my old friend Anders he makes them with locking nuts if you ask for it

http://www.truetemperament.com/

Thanks for the link.

Looks like an interesting option, expensive too. It's missing a couple of frets, unless they do more customized work for that and neck profiles. It'd be hard to buy something like this without it being local. Although looking at the artist list, maybe not.

Besides, I just had my guitar refretted with stainless-steel frets (flawless work done by Denny Rauen).

Thanks for the link.

Looks like an interesting option, expensive too. It's missing a couple of frets, unless they do more customized work for that and neck profiles. It'd be hard to buy something like this without it being local. Although looking at the artist list, maybe not.

Besides, I just had my guitar refretted with stainless-steel frets (flawless work done by Denny Rauen).

Well Vai use them in the studio nowadays even live i have seen him use them

The fact that they dont make them in factory (i think they are only two or three people who make the necks) is maybe why so many dont use them..

people still dont believe it is working just because of the look of the frets people also believe that they cant bend with those frets

If these really do correct intonation problems all over the neck and contribute to sustain as much as people claim, I hope these necks become a lot more common and affordable. I will definitely be all over one of these when they get less expensive. Seems like they are really onto something critical to the evolution of the guitar here.

If these really do correct intonation problems all over the neck and contribute to sustain as much as people claim, I hope these necks become a lot more common and affordable. I will definitely be all over one of these when they get less expensive. Seems like they are really onto something critical to the evolution of the guitar here.

Oh they do just look at those videos especially Mattias IA Eklunds

And its nothing new as Anders started to made those frets in early 1990,s however they where quite different then

His first one i belive have 24 strait frets up to the normal 12 frets a.k.a he simply just put a fret between the regular frets i know that Vai tried a similar one in the late 80,s

There are some guitar companys that have TT frets

But hey are bloody hard to find the only one i can dig out is.

VGS

http://www.vgs-guitars.com/vgs_truetemperament.html?&L=1

Anders also have made several necks with different temperents like meantone

And people still experimenting

Guitar making comapnys can of course contact TT but my guess is they sort of loose their identity but i think the biggest issue is that tyhey have to PAY TT-Frets for every guitar they sell..

http://www.truetemperament.com/licensing/

Pod HD vs Helix raw sound, same settings (main amps).

Pretty straight-forward comparison. Helix sounded a bit more rounded and rich. The one with the chorus and spring reverb was quite a bit different, I would assume because of the effects, mostly the chorus. For choruses, there really is no comparison. Helix is by far better in that category.

By the way, great work on the real-modeled amp compilation.