Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Variax Digital Cable - Ethernet?

Hi All

I have an older style variax (300 I think) that I love! I would like to check and update it's firmware but I don't have a Workbench Interface etc. I am gigging this weekend with a guy who has an X3Live. 

Seeing as I doubt anyone can ship me a Digital cable before sat I was wondering if I can use a Standard Ethernet cable to get the update. I know this is not the "Correct" thing to do but it is something I can do in the time available. 

Will It work? Standard Ethernet or Crossover cable.

And if anyone knows where to buy a Workbench interface bounce me a link :-)

no problem at all using an ethernet cable for the updates... 

i think amazon still has the workbench interface. they sell it as the software, but the software comes with the interface... the software itself can be freely downloaded here.

A regular cable (not crossover) works fine if you are very careful plugging it into the guitar's digital connection.  I have used one with workbench and my X3Live.  It's not recommended because it's too easy to damage the plug on the guitar if the cable isn't a decent one and if you yank on it without the support of the extra case around the connector that is on the Variax VDI cable.

• Upvote 1