Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sending a dry signal from HD500X to vocal harmonizer

shlepprock

Hi guys!  This is my first post, although I have been lurking for a while.  Thanks to all of you who contribute, because many of my questions have been answered simply by browsing older posts.  I haven't found any topics that address my specific issue, so hopefully I'm not rehashing something that's been done to death.

I'm using a JTV-69 connected by VDI cable to HD500X, direct out to PA by dual XLR cables.  Love it.  Haven't had the Variax long, so I'm still full of questions.   I'd like to add a vocal harmonizer to my mic setup (that does not go thru the POD) that uses input from my guitar for harmony pitch detection, specifically a DigiTech Vocalist Live Harmony pedal.  My question is: how best to run a line out of the POD into the Digitech since I'm using only VDI input.  I'm thinking of placing an effects loop early in the path, nice dry signal before any amps or processing.  Would I need to compensate for signal loss later in the path?  Should I use a split path?  I wouldn't use harmonizing on every song, so I wouldn't need it on every preset I build, but if I'm going to have balance issues between presets then it might be easier to incorporate it into each patch that I build.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  Hopefully I've been clear and won't get beat up for overthinking it, or for my choice of the Digitech.  I wish Line 6 would enter this arena and create the perfect vocal harmony effects unit (with MIDI) for a guitarist who already has a perfectly good guitar effects processor.  Just doesn't seem to be out there in pedal form.

You want to feed a dry guitar signal into a vocal processor?

The vocal processor does real time correct key harmonizing (in theory, anyway) by listening to the chords you play on the guitar or a keyboard.   If I were using an instrument cable I'd simply pass thru it before the POD.  

I would think a loop early in the signal chain should do it.  It's certainly easy enough to test.  As to whether you would suffer any signal loss, that's really a matter of how efficiently the Digitech handles the signal.  We could speculate on all of these things for a month or so, or you could set up a test and figure it out in about an hour.

• Upvote 1