Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

What would make great, even greater

regalpierot

As I've posted a few times on here I am a new, but incredibly impressed Helix owner. Love the thing.

I have to say, hand on heart though I am not a massive fan of the GUI when it comes to editing block parameters. I wasn't really huge on that UX whenever I did it on my Amplifi unit (horizontal meters on multiple pages, just counter intuitive to what I'm used to).

Even though the editing is just a part of it, I really wish they'd have an option to either edit the current way or when you went into an effect block the GUI looked like a zoomed in stompbox look with rotaries for the parameters and then the physical rotaries automapped to those. Would be a really nice touch. I do like on things like Amplitude (and I strongly dislike IK Multimedia) how there's a familiarity with tweaking an effect. 

Oh well, can't have it all I guess. Wonder if others find that specific part of the UI great, or not their cup of tea?

I'm not really into the fancy graphics and here is why... (Rant ahead please prepare :) )  

The Helix las limited DSP.  If they give us 3D ray traced graphics screens that realistically cast shadows as you move your hand over the knobs to adjust a control then you will most likely have to give up a few FX blocks.

The editor on the PC can have all the fancy graphics in the world - but please let's not do this to this Helix itself

Frankly I couldn't care a monkeys what the screen looks like as long as it easy to read.   Have you come across Mobius on the PC? About the best sampler there is - absolutely amazingly powerful.  Looks like something from the 1980s.  Probably because they spent their time making it work and not making it look pretty.

I'm not really into the fancy graphics and here is why... (Rant ahead please prepare :) )  

The Helix las limited DSP.  If they give us 3D ray traced graphics screens that realistically cast shadows as you move your hand over the knobs to adjust a control then you will most likely have to give up a few FX blocks.

The editor on the PC can have all the fancy graphics in the world - but please let's not do this to this Helix itself

Frankly I couldn't care a monkeys what the screen looks like as long as it easy to read.   Have you come across Mobius on the PC? About the best sampler there is - absolutely amazingly powerful.  Looks like something from the 1980s.  Probably because they spent their time making it work and not making it look pretty.

The Helix is designed as a dedicated real-time processor.  That's very different from a traditional computer or smart phone that most people are familiar with, but it's necessary to maintain the real-time responsiveness needed for live audio processing.  The more "pretty" stuff you add, the greater the computational cycles you'll need to manage that aspect of the operations, thereby increasing the likelihood of latency in processing audio.  Not a good trade-off in my opinion.

• Upvote 1