Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Recording with Amplifi on Mac OS 10.11+

jdebiase

I just went through a lengthy chat on line with Apple Support to find out why my Mac with El Capitan (10.11.4) cannot find or see my Amplifi 75 via USB. They went directly to Line 6's tech info and quoted a paragraph stating that only Mac OS up to Yosemite (10.10) is supported!! This is after about 4 or 5 tickets to Line 6 asking for the same help. No one from Line 6 could actually tell me straight out that El Capitan is not supported for recording via USB!! If this is not the case, I need to find out if any of you have had the same problem or can deny that this problem exists because you are using El Capitan on a Mac connected to your amp via USB! If this problem is real, when will Line 6 admit it and release an update so newer computers can see the amp! [bTW: I am running the latest firmware and app on the Line 6 side and I tested the connection on an older Mac computer running System 10.8 which worked perfectly fine!]

Any suggestions? Thx!

Jim

As I wrote in another thread: Works fine here with El Capitan (Amplifi 150 with latest firmware, OS X 10.11.4, MBP 13 Mid 2014).

Yes...I got it to work fine on a friend's computer with El Capitan.....apparently it is just my computer! Some weird conflict that is unsolvable by Apple. I'm SOL!

Jim

It's not unsolvable, try going to security permissions and letting the Amplifi have permissions to see if that's the issue, also are you trying to use GarageBand or some other software?

P.S. I used to work for those people in the tech area, it could be any number of stupid things not letting it through, worst case is re install OSX. Buthe I highly doubt it'll go that far.

It's not unsolvable, try going to security permissions and letting the Amplifi have permissions to see if that's the issue, also are you trying to use GarageBand or some other software?

P.S. I used to work for those people in the tech area, it could be any number of stupid things not letting it through, worst case is re install OSX. Buthe I highly doubt it'll go that far.

This sounds interesting and worth a try. Exactly how do go into the security permissions. I've never done that! Thanks so much!

Hopeful

Garage Band. Thanks Brad

Click on the Gear icon on your quick bar or click on the empty desktop, then click the apple symbol in the left corner top, select preferences, and security.

Also in garage band in might think it's a MIDI device, so under your input look for something Labeled POD, or Line 6 Pod (sometimes mine does this because amplifi IS based on POD XT architecture) or possibly "USB DEVICE" as mine sometimes does this on El Capitan. I'll try to fu d my USB cable and plug mine in to see if it gives me the same issue your having.

ok, so I did it, and It shows up as Line 6 Amplifi, and sometimes POD. but in audio preferences in garage band as an input it is there

My computer is now under investigation by Apple's engineers. None of the USB ports recognizes the Amplifi. I can only get this computer to see a Bluetooth connection and use the amp as an output device only. I have not tried the security permissions yet. That much I can do myself! Thanks. I'll let you know if it works.

I spent the last week or so working with Apple's engineers to find out why my Amplifi 75 could not be detected by my Mac running El Capitan. I tested the amp with older Macs running a variety of OS's including El Capitan and the all worked flawlessly. They found the Amplifi immediately! Line 6 said that proved it was not their product or firmware and refused to help or even listen!! Apple concluded that the device was not compatible with Macs designed with USB 3.0 ports and architecture! They ran an independent test and agreed that the amp was designed to work only with USB 1.0 or 2.0 with the latest firmware and not with 3.0! Regardless of operating system as long as the IS was newer than 10.7. So: does anyone out there know for a fact that their Amplifi is working with Macs running USB 3.0 via the USB Jack and can record into DAW software on said Mac? Please let me know. I wrote Lune 6 to look into this and hopefully develop the appropriate update thanks all!

Jim