Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Beam blockers for Alto/Alesis FRFRs

zooey

Has anyone felt that the high end on the Alesis/Alto FRFRs is pretty beamy at close range, much brighter directly on-axis than not? I know it's physics, and completely not unique or an actual defect, I just don't like it.

Given that, has anyone tried any of the typical beam blocker/diffuser solutions out there, commercial or not, and if so, how did it work out?

From what I've read, none of them are super great for curing guitar cab beamyness, so there's really no reason to think it'd be any better for this use, maybe even worse, given that more hi-fi goals of FRFR solutions, and the design of such horns.

Still, just wondering. In some ideal world, I'd maybe have a Center Point Spacestation, but I'm trying to make do with what I've got, more or less.

Some simple things to try are those flat magnets delivery food places give out, place one over the tweeter on the grill.  Some people use tape for the same thing.   I've tried it with my QSC.  Didn't do much other than slightly reduce the treble beaminess, but still ear fatiguing after awhile.  

I have a CPSpaceStation.  Very kool!  I dig it.

I tried the new Matrix FR10.  Much less ear fatigue than the QSC, EV, Yamaha stuff I've owned.  Never tried the Alto.

Somebody had the great idea that someone should make IRs of these PA speakers (Altos and such) that reverses the over hyped high end that wears out your ears - make them even more FRFR and less icepicky.

Anyone?  Help, anyone???  It would be a well loved IR!!! 

I have 2 alto ts110's. I find they are bright/beemy at close range, but back off and the beam sprends nicely. Just a guess but i believe pa speakers are designed to project the sound.

At close range they are high mid hyped. I pull 3k down about 7db.

• Upvote 1

I do the same with my Yorkville PA speaker, use the global eq to take mids at 3 kHz down 8 dB with a Q of 1.7 to take the harshness out, also found if I took 310 Hz down 3 dB, it reduces the boxiness out of the Vox amp models.

PA speakers are not FRFR,they are built to emphasize vocals, which are heavy in the midrange. The "magic" frequencies will be different from one to another. I set my global eq only on the quarter inch outs I use for my stage setup, not on the XLR to FOH sound.

I use the high cut on the speaker models as needed to cut the high frequency fizz of distortions.

Dave

• Upvote 2

I've don't really notice any beaminess on stage from my DXR12's, but I have them positioned about 6 feet behind me so that gives it enough time to resolve into a more natural sound.  At home I tend to stand back from the speaker at about the same range in order to get that effect.  Any closer and I will get that beaminess and the ear fatigue.

• Upvote 1