Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

G10 CableTone always on

bdplaid

I found out through my rep at Sweetwater that the G10 does indeed have CableTone activated permanently in it's circuitry, cannot turn it off.  It is set to replicate a 10' cable. Well, it must be a pretty crappy cable as a model, because I can hear it and don't like it, it muddies up my sound. I wouldn't mind if it just knocked off some highs, but it does something to the midrange I don't like.  So I sent it back.

The G10 is such a cool product and I love both the design of it and the performance, with the exception of CableTone.  Sure wish Line 6 hadn't done that to an otherwise superb product.

Line6: don't monkey with a man's sound!

• 2 weeks later...

I notice it going into the front of my amp, but into my helix, I don't notice any tone coloration at all.   Think the G10 works best going into a buffered pedal/pedalboard.  Even if it is clunky to use on the floor.

I've had great luck with mine so far.  Gigged with it, brought it to rehearsal and great around the house.   I've actually gone outside with it while the unit was still getting signal in the basement.   Great range.   I think Line6 will address some of the "issues" in the next generation of this product.  For now though, I'm a very happy customer.

• 4 weeks later...

Also, if you read the manual, it states that the XLR output does not have cable tone activated. I'm not sure what cable you have been using, but I use a Mogami Platinum cable (a $100 cable) and I don't notice any appreciable difference, certainly not in a live setting where you might actually be running a wireless system. Shouldn't be using wireless when recording anyway, so...

The G10's Pilot guide is very brief. It makes no mention of the Cable Tone feature.

I do see Cable Tone mentioned in the G10's product marketing materials, but I do not see any manual mentioning the XLR output being free of the feature.

Can you provide a link to the G10 Manual you are reading?

• 3 months later...

Well, they should simply allow the user to install a special FW without it.

I'm fairly new to my G10, just got it for christmas and didn't compare to the XLR out yet. I'll comment here after I do.

From my experience with other wireless systems, a "no cable tone" option is really not desirable, which is probably why they did not make it an option. It is way too bright and doesn't sound like a normal wired guitar tone at all. They picked 10 feet because it is the sweet spot between natural sound and tone loss.

Well, I did some tests with a 3m Fender cable and the g10 and honestly I don't feel there is such a change in tone, or change at all.

So...it's all good I believe. The only real difference was in volume, the G10 is quieter than using the cable, but I can understand that because you wanna avoid clipping the digital signal.

I would still test things again later and see if I can tell there's any difference after analyzing both signals with a spectrogram.