Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix with Voodoo Labs Hex Audio Midi Switcher

GekkoJoe

Hello everyone, this is my first post so please forgive me if I screwed it up.  I'm using a Voodoo Labs midi audio loop switcher and I'm running into a problem.  Using the foot controller I can turn on/off my pedals but the problem is that when I change patches the switcher does nothing.  In other words, if I'm on a clean patch using a compression pedal and switch to a crunch patch the compressor stays on.  The Hex remembers everything and won't change any on/off parameters unless I manually toggle them.  I'm using "Midi Toggle" and programming the corresponding Midi CC number on to the floor pedal in stomp mode.  Just to be clear I am NOT using HELIX EFFECTS, these are in a pedal drawer.

Here's the signal path.

Wireless to Helix In

4CM to Mesa using FX Loop(send/return)1

FXLoop2 to the audio switcher is before FX Loop1 in the chain

How do I get it so that the Voodoo labs audio switcher knows that when I turn on the Crunch patch I want the drive pedal on by default?  And when I turn on the clean patch I want the Compressor pedal on as default?  The phaser and the chorus I will keep as toggle.

Thank you so much guys...this kept me up at night.

post-1183798-0-99862800-1470318224_thumb.jpg

post-1183798-0-86619800-1470318236_thumb.jpg

post-1183798-0-43956600-1470318251_thumb.jpg

If you want to send out specific MIDI CC messages when you change patches, you have to set those up as Instant Commands in the Command Center. You can have up to 6 Instant Commands per preset. Each one is represented by the little lightning bolt icon in the Command Center view. You select the lightning bolt icon, and set it to the command you want. It's really not any different than setting up a footswitch. The key is that these commands are sent out when you load the preset, so you have to set them up in the preset you're going to.

With the the 2.0 update and snapshots, you can actually have Instant Commands sent out on snapshot per snapshot basis. Depending on what you're doing, this may actually work better for you than doing it on a preset per preset basis.

I see.  Ok, I will give that a try but I'm wondering if an instant command might toggle off a pedal if I used it in another patch.  In other words, let's say I'm on a crunch patch and I toggle ON the OD pedal because I'll have it default to off.  So I load up crunch patch, toggle ON the OD pedal.... then switch to my LEAD patch which will default to OD ON.  Because I toggled my OD pedal to "ON" for  CRUNCH, when I switch to LEAD will the instant command incidentally toggle the OD pedal "OFF"?

Again, thanks for the help

I see.  Ok, I will give that a try but I'm wondering if an instant command might toggle off a pedal if I used it in another patch.  In other words, let's say I'm on a crunch patch and I toggle ON the OD pedal because I'll have it default to off.  So I load up crunch patch, toggle ON the OD pedal.... then switch to my LEAD patch which will default to OD ON.  Because I toggled my OD pedal to "ON" for  CRUNCH, when I switch to LEAD will the instant command incidentally toggle the OD pedal "OFF"?

Again, thanks for the help

I'm not really familiar with how the Voodoo Lab pedal switcher works, to be honest. I looked at the manual, and the don't have a MIDI implementation chart from what I can see. Does each loop have unique CC assigned to it with a range of values that turn it off and another range that turn it on? If that's the case, then, yes, you could have it set up so that Instant Commands turn off a certain loop when you enter a preset and turn other on. Like I said, you have up to six per preset to work with.