Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Can't connect device

danwinslow

Just got my helix. Very unhappy to find I can't get it to connect with my Windows 7 machine.

Loaded:

Line 6 Driver2 Helix v1.76.0.1 Installer.exe

Line 6 Updater v1.09 Installer.exe

Helixv2.01Installer.exe

In various combinations, with or without restarts in between. The Helix editor never shows anything besides 'device not connected'. Updater occasionally finds the device after a restart, but as soon as I close it and restart updater it never finds it again. Maybe once out of 10 tries it will find it. I'm using the USB that came with the Helix and I don't have any other music or line 6 drivers loaded.

Any suggestions? It's pretty expensive, I'm not happy that the software seems so hard to use.

Windows 7 is seriously outdated man. I had to abandon my Windows 8 machine as website after website gave warning notice "the operating system is outdated" and things just would not work with it. This is pretty sophisticated software, needs a higher end PC. Just FYI. I just picked up a great deal on a desktop Dell that has enormous memory and speed ability plus wireless keys and mouse. It's a desktop model but the entire unit is self contained on the back of the 24" screen, and wireless so I could move it anywhere with ease. 2.8Ghz, 12GB RAM, 64bit, 1TB memory drive, was also $200 off, I was amazed. 

Also one of the few models which still has a CD/DVD drive, Windows 10. was just 12, no finance charge, no interest, payments at Best Buy. I could not be more pleased as my other machine died a long slow death and just would not hardly run at all anymore. 

Just FYI, but I'd say it's the PC unable to handle the drivers and software package. 

Just got my helix. Very unhappy to find I can't get it to connect with my Windows 7 machine.

Loaded:

Line 6 Driver2 Helix v1.76.0.1 Installer.exe

Line 6 Updater v1.09 Installer.exe

Helixv2.01Installer.exe

In various combinations, with or without restarts in between. The Helix editor never shows anything besides 'device not connected'. Updater occasionally finds the device after a restart, but as soon as I close it and restart updater it never finds it again. Maybe once out of 10 tries it will find it. I'm using the USB that came with the Helix and I don't have any other music or line 6 drivers loaded.

Any suggestions? It's pretty expensive, I'm not happy that the software seems so hard to use.

The most likely causes of this are the following:

• USB port or driver not cooperating with the Helix
  • Helix Windows driver not properly installed
  • Some app, driver, firewall, or antivirus program interfering with Helix
  • Editor, Windows driver, and Updater not matched to the firmware version

I would try the following, switch USB ports, try all available, most likely one to work will be on the back of your PC.

If alternate USB ports don't work, backup your presets and IRs if you can, use another PC or laptop if necessary. If you just got your Helix and have not created any new presets, no worries, skip this step. Now uninstall the Line6 software using the Line6 uninstaller under "Programs & Features" in the Control Panel, Reinstall the latest 2.01 "Helix" app. This will automatically reinstall the latest Editor, Updater, and most importantly the Windows driver which is what allows the Updater and also probably the Editor to see your Helix. Now use the Updater to update to the latest version of the firmware 2.01. Finally, don't forget to do the global reset by restarting while depressing FS 9&10.

I've got a Windows 7 laptop that works like a charm... Old Alienware gaming machine... My Win 10 Precision Workstation laptop works like a charm, too.

All I can say is my Windows 8 machine got constant site messages to upgrade my operating system even on my bill pay utility websites.  It hung up and could not work with many things I had to do. Windows 10 solved everything. Computers tend to get outdated in 5 years. I also had to improve my Word software with the new machine.

Windows 7 Pro here, no issues (with that, anyway). Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft for a number of years more, I didn't see any compelling reasons to sacrifice a bunch of disk space and a bunch of music apps that are known not to work with Windows 10, so I let the free upgrade deadline pass. You might want to upgrade for other reasons, but I really don't think that's your Helix issue.

Do try other USB ports. I had a firmware upgrade brick my Helix, tried everything else, but eventually did try a different USB port, worked fine. Next firmware went fine using that same port. don't know why Helix is more sensitive in this regard than most things, but it appears to be. Just try it.

Hey if it works, cool. I never had 7 so I cannot really say anything about it. I had 8 and I thought it was supposed to be better than 7 but it had so many issues. What I hate about Windows 10 is the AI takes over your machine and does things you do not want and cannot stop or turn off. The efforts to make things idiot proof and for the non thinking generation are frustrating to the wall for those like me who want the computer to do what it is told and not do what it wants. I live with it as everything on the Helix programs does well. But seriously MS needs to back off the intuitive AI, I do not want all that yada nor every damn update installed without being able to stop it or even remove them. What will future Windows be like, Hal? Stop dumbing down the world, we are stupid enough already. 

... What I hate about Windows 10 is the AI takes over your machine and does things you do not want and cannot stop or turn off. ...I live with it as everything on the Helix programs does well. But seriously MS needs to back off the intuitive AI, I do not want all that yada nor every damn update installed without being able to stop it or even remove them. What will future Windows be like, Hal? ...

Love the "2001: A Space Oddysey" - "Hal" reference and totally agree! Windows 10 has some nice features but is incredibly invasive.