Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Editor System requirements.

OnAPaleStallion

I'm looking at getting a small tablet to use the editor with. For the life of me I can't find the system requirements, specifically the RAM requirements, for the Helix editor. There are some really cheap Windows 10, 1-2 GB 10" tablets available. Anyone running the editor on a cheap tablet or know the location of the requirements?

I am running on a Nextbook 10, a very inexpensive 2Gb RAM laptop/tablet when they periodically go on sale. Nice though because it converts to a tablet you can set up on a music stand or attach to a microphone stand if you want to use it onstage. I did have to get a micro-USB adapter cable from Amazon for about $6 but it seems to work just fine with the Helix.  Only problem is the known issue of the scroll bar being hard to see and use on Windows 10 particularly on a small screen. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OZDUTMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Which model HO, and what did it cost, if you don't mind my asking?

I got the Nextbook Flexx 10.1, Model #NXW101QC23.  I got lucky and got an open box deal from Walmart for $45. I do recommend whatever you get be either in or convertible to some kind of tablet form if you ever want to be able to set up something at eye level at a gig on a music stand or mic stand holder. A laptop works just fine for studio use.

Wow, cheap!!! That's complete no-brainer territory.

I live my life on a laptop, which I do bring down to the studio sometimes, but I'd back up more often, and maybe explore IRs more, if I had something I could just leave down there.

No hits on that at Walmart, Amazon, Best Buy, MicroCenter, or NewEgg. Seems like that particular model is gone gone gone.

Yep I don't see them any more either although a couple of them sold for about $70 on Ebay this month. I think they must have stopped selling them, Walmart had this model which looks similar but only has Windows 8.1 instead of 10.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/46664252?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227035575591&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=78193720232&wl4=pla-51491553727&wl5=9008052&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=46664252&wl13=&veh=sem

They also had this which looks similar but has Windows 10 and is a bit less expensive.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-10.1-2-in-1-Tablet-32GB-Intel-Atom-Z3735F-Quad-Core-Processor-Windows-10/45804385?action=product_interest&action_type=title&item_id=45804385&placement_id=irs-106-t1&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id&category=&client_guid=fa2ab222-1975-42e6-8ad3-06a1f63f9300&customer_id_enc&config_id=106&parent_item_id=46664252&parent_anchor_item_id=46664252&guid=cf84971c-7ef3-45d6-b0c4-8b85665bf20c&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&beacon_version=1.0.1&findingMethod=p13n

You may want to get something with a bit bigger screen if you are going to use it in the studio. It looks like a very inexpensive laptop or tablet with minimal RAM and a mediocre CPU will work just fine with the Helix though as long as it has a USB port or in my case a Micro USB port with an adapter..

Thank you all for the replies. Just FYI here is the response from the Line6 ticket I submitted:

Tablets that run Windows systems actually are not supported. The USB ports on those tablets have different protocols, that have more power saving features. Because of this, we have seen connection problems with most Tablets.

If you want to use the Editor for the Helix, we recommend using a Mac or PC laptop or desktop.

Thanks,
Pete
Line 6 Support

Now, I'm a network engineer by trade, the statement about USB ports on a tablet using a different protocol is just not correct. Different plugs for sure, but not the underlying data stream. The info regarding the power savings features is correct, but that is easy to fix. I have an existing tablet that is a little big for what I want to do, it also has 8Gb and a 256 ssd. I'll try it with the editor first and let you guys know what I find out.

Thank you all for the replies. Just FYI here is the response from the Line6 ticket I submitted:

Tablets that run Windows systems actually are not supported. The USB ports on those tablets have different protocols, that have more power saving features. Because of this, we have seen connection problems with most Tablets.

If you want to use the Editor for the Helix, we recommend using a Mac or PC laptop or desktop.

Thanks,

Pete

Line 6 Support

Now, I'm a network engineer by trade, the statement about USB ports on a tablet using a different protocol is just not correct. Different plugs for sure, but not the underlying data stream. The info regarding the power savings features is correct, but that is easy to fix. I have an existing tablet that is a little big for what I want to do, it also has 8Gb and a 256 ssd. I'll try it with the editor first and let you guys know what I find out.

I believe you are correct. I don't think there should be a problem with the data stream as long as the device connecting to the tablet is powered. The tablet ports do tend to have problems with unpowered devices due to their differences from laptops in power management. For instance, they often will not operate properly with an external hard drive unless it is powered. If the Helix is having problems with most tablets that suggests to me that the Helix is relying on a powered USB port. Why in the world is a powered device like the Helix relying on a powered USB port? This should be fixed in the firmware or with a driver if possible. What good reason could there be for a powered Helix not to work with a Windows tablet? Do unpowered USB ports have a protection circuit or an OS feature that prevents power from the Helix? This does not make sense to me as I can get powered external hard drives to work with my unpowered USB ports with no problem.

After reading your post I went back and played with my Nextbook Flexx and indeed it does have connectivity issues when it is used as a tablet (disconnected from the keyboard) through the Micro-USB port. It works fine when through the standard USB powered connection when it is connected to the keyboard (keyboard has a standard USB connection). This is not good! I hope Line6 addresses this because a tablet is a great way to interact with the Helix onstage.

I suggest posting this in the "Bugs" topic it looks like you already opened a ticket with Line6. I hope they address this issue and don't just settle for the canned response they sent back to you. There are probably a lot of folks including me who would like to see this fixed.

Note: I am wondering if an OTG cable utilizing "USB On The Go" would get around the problem with unpowered tablet ports, particularly the Micro-USB ports. I tried it with an OTG adapter but I don't have the adapter part that provides power to the OTG cable and I am having no luck. Has anyone had success by connecting a powered USB hub to an unpowered Micro-USB connection that is not working reliably? At this point it seems like nothing less that a tablet with a standard powered USB connector would be reliable for use with the Helix.

That is interesting. Also explains the USB noise I get when using a long USB cable and the XLR out. I spent most of Sat chasing down the issue. I had to use a shorter USB cable with a ferrite bead on the end. I would think if you plugged the tablet and the Helix into a powered USB hub the problem would be solved. Why the helix would need USB power makes no sense to me either.

It looks like the problem might be with the driver as I am getting driver errors in the Device Manager on Windows 10 on my non-powered Micro USB tablet port even when using a powered hub. Windows can see the Helix but the driver will not enable properly. Would be great if Line6 could shed some more light on this or better yet just get it to work with non-powered tablet USB ports.