Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD model packs (better than PODxt?... or just the same?)

miguel_lopez

I know it may be the wrong place to ask this question but, I'll give it a chance here

I have all POD family and also Helix, I use them all, including AX8, mixing them all in order to combine elements from each and every processor according to the tone I need... The other day I saw the packs for POD HD and it has original Line6 models I use a lot from the POD xt processors. I am a big fan/user of Acoustic, Aggro, Spinal Puppet and one of my favorite: PURGE!!!. I was wondering if the Metal/Vintage packs for POD HD sounds better than the PODxt amp packs. I use to mix my sound chain as this: PODxt amp models(acoustic, spinal, purge, aggro) ONLY(no cab-mic-room-fx) to the Helix in order to edit all fx eq room scenes etc and finally to the AX8 in order to use the ML SOUND LAB cab packs, as far the best IRs I've used. So, as you can see I need to know if those same original LINE6 amp models will be the same as the PODxt or will they be better in the POD HD(?)... do you think they would be necessary? I really like the high gain spinal, the ultra sterile acoustic and the gritty crunch Purge; tones I Can NOT get from any other processor...

Thank you for reading and help

Miguel

They're all a bit different, not necessarily better or worse. HD500 lost some things X3 had, and gained some others. I generally thought the HD500 sounded better on most things than the X3. But there are still some tones on the old POD 2.0 that are worthwhile and hard to reproduce on anything else. That said, I'm happy with Helix and am glad to have less hardware choices.

• Upvote 1

They're all a bit different, not necessarily better or worse. HD500 lost some things X3 had, and gained some others. I generally thought the HD500 sounded better on most things than the X3. But there are still some tones on the old POD 2.0 that are worthwhile and hard to reproduce on anything else. That said, I'm happy with Helix and am glad to have less hardware choices.

This

I think I will try those HD packs since I can't find those LINE6 original tones not even in the Helix(not necessarily better or worse). The other day I read a Guitar magazine article (can't remember if it was the deaftones or some other band) they said they recorded their demo with POD 2.0 and when the label record heard it they said it was fine because there was not a way to reproduce it with anything else and had some spice in there they didn't want to get rid of. This is something I experience a lot. Most of the time I write songs with my PODxt and then I use real stuff but sometimes I CAN NOT reproduce the same vibe I did with the PODxt(again... NOT necessarily better or worse; it's that personal print)

Thanx for reading and your kind reply

Miguel

Hi:

ok, so I downloaded the HD FULL pack, and as far as I've tried the new models, I noticed they are INDEED tremendously DIFFERENT, but I think in a "better way" because they are more like a "High Definition" version of all those PODxt original tones. However, yes, indeed, there's something you left behind on the PODxt and there are some "new" stuff in the HD versions. Let's say I'm happy with the experiment, so now I'll get back to work with my usual excess of hardware chain to get my "unique" tone.

Rock ON!