Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to make a metronome in Helix... (kind of)

phil_m

I just thought of this when replying to the other thread about effects people wanted added. Someone mentioned a metronome, so I started thinking that now that we have the tone generators, and we have a way to pulse them, you could create a metronome-type thing. So I added a 3 Note Generator block, set the levels of OSC 2 and 3 to 0, so to just be dealing with one pure tone. I then added a mono Tremolo block after that, set the Wave Shape to Square and the Duty Cycle to relatively low (11%, in my case), and then set the tempo sync to quarter notes... Pretty much a tremolo. It doesn't give you and accent on the one, but it does give you a nice even pulse...

Anyway, if you're ever desperate for a metronome, now you can have a quick and dirty one... ;)

• Upvote 2

Great idea. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe you could get the accent by setting the tremolo to a whole note, then add a simple delay after that set at 1/4 note. Adjust feedback and mix to taste and I think that would give you an accented first note with subsequent notes trailing off until the next whole note. :)

• Upvote 1

• 7 years later...