Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

No preamp or clean preamp.

kurotenshi_pt

Hi, recentely started using the HD500x for bass and I would like to use an external preamp in the loop but use the cabinet models on the POD.

As far as I know, it is not possible to use the cabs without an amp so this thread is for two things:

First ask Line6 if you could please add a "no amp" model to the models list to bypass the amp section and go into the cab.

Second is to ask your opinion on to what is the cleanest preamp in the HD500x, I have the standard pack and the Bass pack.

I will also of course test every amp myself but I also like to hear from people with much more experience with the POD.

preamp in the FX loop...good plan, as this should make experimenting easier in the long run IMO.

Basically, you can create all the patches you like using amps in your POD...My suggestion would be to stick to the PRE versions of the AMP models...If you use the FULL models, then there is a lot more going on and it's all non-linear because it's a model of a tube power amp....

Most likely, I would try the JC120 first...The only reason is that it's a solid-state model and the only one in the bunch...I think that is in the standard pack...BTY, the SVT sounds great to me...The FULL model of that one with the 8x10 is a great one IMO...

Anyhoo, I think I would be sure to put the FX Loop block right before the AMP Block...This will allow to put things in front of your preamp if you need it...One key point is that you might want to go to the Input Setup page and change the InputZ setting from Auto to 3M....This will give you the highest impedance input...

What kind of preamp are you going to incorporate?

My final plan is to do something like this:

Left send > SA Aftershock left > Darkglass Microtubes 900 input - DG 900 preamp out > POD left return - POD mono mix out > DG 900 power amp IN

Aftershock Right out > POD right return

The aftershock will take care of distortion and frequency split.

For now the preamp will be an EBS Microbass II

You'll find what you need here where I measures both the frequency responses and THD of the various preamps and full amps. The cleanest preamp is the Blackface 'Lux Nrm Pre. The flattest frequency response for bass would be maybe PhD Motorway or FlipTop or Divide 9/15. But the Blackface 'Lux Nrm Pre isn't all that bad.