Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Temptation is strong, must resist.

joel_brown

Here's something that recently helped me a ton.  A friend loaned me his Laney GH50L amp.  I really liked the tone and thought if I could use that as a baseline I could dial in my tone to it.  This helped more than anything I've ever done.  Just having a separate amp/cab I could A/B too and hear the differences.

Even the tone I posted here sounded like it has a blanket over it compared to what I've been able to dial in now.  Nothing special other than twisting Bass, Mid, Treble, and Presence.  Which I changed Bass to 5, Mid and Treble to 4, and Presence to 7.  This will be different for different speakers.  But should work on most Celestions.

I'll be posting a video soon showing the comparison.

Here's the video comparing a Laney GH50L to my PODHD into the FX Return of a JCM900.  I tried to make them a close as I could.  The PODHD is just being used as a pre-amp using the Angel Pre (ENGL) model.  No cabinet or mic modeling.  It's recorded through Marshall 1936 cabs with an SM57 mic into Cubase.  No effects or pedals.  At the end of the video it demonstrates the stereo effect the PODHD gives me using 2 JCM900s and 1936 cabs and a touch of delay and reverb.  Everything is live, mistakes and all.  Plus a couple cheezy guitar riffs at the end.

This video does not show how to make a great recording by any means.  Hopefully the recording is good enough to show the PODHD can sound very very close to a tube amp.  When I first backed to backed the two amps it wasn't even close.

<video deleted - will repost with updated audio>

What did the third sample sound like ?  Were the left and right channels equal in volume ?  I tried to keep everything simple.  Left channel for first clip, right channel for second clip, last clip is stereo and uses both channels.  There some bleed between channels cause it's live.

This whole thread started with me trying to get the PODHD to sound like a tube amp.  With the help of everyone here and a couple local friends, I think it's close enough that it would be hard pressed to tell the difference.  

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

This whole thread started with me trying to get the PODHD to sound like a tube amp. With the help of everyone here and a couple local friends, I think it's close enough that it would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

Thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

Thanks to you for posting your tone, it's got a permanent home on my POD now...my semi hollow loves it. It's punchy and big down low and clear and bright up high. It reacts nicely to the volume knob too. You mentioned in another thread that you use the ENGL for cleans too...What are you doing there?

• 2 months later...

After hearing Friedman amps, especially the BE100 it's hard to resist going back. There are so many Marshall Plexi clones out there that sound so nice. Just plug in and sound great. No pedals, just guitar, amp, cab. I would never buy a Helix, Kemper, or AXE. For that money I'd buy a Friedman or some other Plexi clone.

I'm happy with what I have but the temptation is strong. Friedman has this nice little combo that sounds incredible and is plenty loud and easy to carry.

Help me resist...

I have to confess I just traded an older guitar guitar for an Egnater Tweaker 40 combo, then added a Boss OD-3 and Dispatch Master. I'm really enjoying this simple set up right now.

Hey I understand.  It's tempting.  Especially if you don't need a bunch of different tones.  I've heard some incredible combos, even micro combos, that sound really nice.  Orange Micro Dark Terror and a 1x12 cab is amazing.  Almost hilarious because it's so small.

But in the end I got the PODHD sounding how I wanted.  As you'll see in the video above.  Hard to tell the difference and the stereo effect is cool.

Hey I understand. It's tempting. Especially if you don't need a bunch of different tones. I've heard some incredible combos, even micro combos, that sound really nice. Orange Micro Dark Terror and a 1x12 cab is amazing. Almost hilarious because it's so small.

But in the end I got the PODHD sounding how I wanted. As you'll see in the video above. Hard to tell the difference and the stereo effect is cool.

Yeah, your patch came our great and even sounded good on my setup. 90% of the time I just use an OD, delay, and reverb. I love my HD500x and it's not going anywhere but this Egnater with silvania green labels does something magical when you turn the master up past 1 o clock...and my dummy side loves the simplistic situation.