Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Snapshot and Variax control

gstew

Searching the forum, reading the manual, digging around on the Helix, can't find an answer so finally giving in, and posting a likely dumb question:

I know a Preset can control Variax pickup selection, model and tunings. Can a Snapshot?

I set up my Helix floor to be 4 Presets along the top and 4 Snapshots along the bottom. I'd like the Snapshots to control Variax mag and model pickup selection as well as model pickup tuning.

Thx.

You can control Variax model selection and alternate tunings using Snapshots. Assign those parameters to the Snapshot controller as you would any other parameter (push and rotate the parameter knob) and set the desired values for each Snapshot.

The pickup selection (Variax Mags or Model) is done via the Input block. To be able to switch that assignment you need to create a dual-path preset. Assign one input block to the Variax Mags and the other to a model as described above. Then assign the respective Input block's on/off state to the Snapshot controller.

Of course, two minutes after I made this post, I figured out the pushing of the parameter knob for the Variax tuning.

OK, so now I'll try my hand at the dual path input block thing. Hope it's not another episode of "stump the chump". Thanks silverhead; I'll get this gig ready yet.

Note: unless you need to change from Variax Mags to Model instantaneously during a song it may be easier to simply use different presets rather than a dual-path preset and snapshots. If you can tolerate a few milliseconds lag in the sound (e.g. between songs or at a suitable moment within the song) you could just switch presets rather than snapshots.

Note: unless you need to change from Variax Mags to Model instantaneously during a song it may be easier to simply use different presets rather than a dual-path preset and snapshots. If you can tolerate a few milliseconds lag in the sound (e.g. between songs or at a suitable moment within the song) you could just switch presets rather than snapshots.

Good thought, thank you.

The pickup selection (Variax Mags or Model) is done via the Input block. To be able to switch that assignment you need to create a dual-path preset. Assign one input block to the Variax Mags and the other to a model as described above. Then assign the respective Input block's on/off state to the Snapshot controller.

I have set up the dual input block preset, but now I am trying to find how I assign an on/off state for each input block.

I think I gave you incorrect info on this point. I'm not at me Helix right now so can't experiment but I don't think you can, in fact, turn an Input block on/off. It's always on.

I'm not 100% certain about this either, but try assigning the Input value (none, Multi, etc.) to the snapshot controller and then assign the value None to the block in the Snapshot where you don't want any input from that block.

Sorry for the confusion - I've never actually used snapshots for this purpose. As indicated earlier I use separate presets for this.

Another alternative might be to use a VOL block immediately after the Input block in both paths. Assign both Vol blocks to the same expression pedal and use opposite max/min settings of 0% and 100% for the pedals. Rotating the pedal from heel to toe will blend the two inputs. At the full heel/toe positions you can silence one of the Inputs.