Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Volume pedal (Exp 2) drops to 0% using Logic X, no pedal attached

robertmderosa

Hi all,

This issue is driving me crazy! I just picked up a Helix Rack and installed firmware v. 2.21 and do not have an expression pedal. I'm mainly using this to record. Whenever I boot up Logic X, expression pedal 2 which is assigned to the volume pedal block on all default patches, immediately drops to 0%. If I manually pull it back up in the editor on the computer or on the rack unit itself, within a couple seconds it will go back to 0%. It seems the only solution is to either turn off the volume pedal block or change the associated expression pedal. This is not an issue when Logic X is not open.

Does anyone know if this is a Logic X issue and if there is a way to stop it? If not, is there a way to globally assign anything using expression pedal 2 to another pedal? Will buying an expression pedal fix this issue? I would like to avoid going through each patch and either reassigning or deleting the volume block.

Thanks!

Hi all,

This issue is driving me crazy! I just picked up a Helix Rack and installed firmware v. 2.21 and do not have an expression pedal. I'm mainly using this to record. Whenever I boot up Logic X, expression pedal 2 which is assigned to the volume pedal block on all default patches, immediately drops to 0%. If I manually pull it back up in the editor on the computer or on the rack unit itself, within a couple seconds it will go back to 0%. It seems the only solution is to either turn off the volume pedal block or change the associated expression pedal. This is not an issue when Logic X is not open.

Does anyone know if this is a Logic X issue and if there is a way to stop it? If not, is there a way to globally assign anything using expression pedal 2 to another pedal? Will buying an expression pedal fix this issue? I would like to avoid going through each patch and either reassigning or deleting the volume block.

Thanks!

I am not familiar with Logic X. Do you have any midi CCs programmed in that software? Midi CC#1-3 control the expression pedal inputs on Helix. If you are sending CC #2 with a value of zero, you are commanding EXP2 to zero. 

• Upvote 1

THANK YOU BOTH!

It definitely is a midi cc Logic X is sending out. When I go into Helix global settings and turn off Midi Over USB, the issue stops. Now I just need to trace where it's coming from... :D

There's an app simply called "MIDI Monitor" for Mac that has helped me troubleshoot stray MIDI signals causing issues between Logic and Helix.  It's free, and simple, and I've solved more than one issue with it.  It's worth having on your machine.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...