Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How to compensate for volume change when effect switched on?

Alex_SF

I use a rackmounted Pod HD Pro in my live setup, output to a tube power amp.  I've set up several banks of patches and done a lot of volume balancing across each so the output level is consistent for rhythm patches and about 3dB louder for lead patches.

One particular patch has a Script Phase in the signal chain, which is normally off until I switch it on using my FBV foot controller.  The problem I'm having is that when the Phase effect is turned on, the overall output volume drops off by about 2dB, so my phasey interludes, which are supposed to stand out in the mix, instead get buried.

If I had a spare patch in that bank, I could just create a new patch for the phase sounds and compensate for the volume dropoff by using the amp or mixer controls.  But I don't have a spare patch in that bank -- I need to use the (1) rhythm (the one I've having the phase volume problem with); (2) lead sound 1; (3) lead sound 2 (for a very effects-heavy lead section in that song); and (4) clean patches, all within the same song.

Is there another effect that I could put in the signal chain for my rhythm patch that would give a 2dB boost only when the Phase effect is turned on, by hitting just one switch on my foot controller to turn both effects on?  I haven't messed around with "Multi" foot controller assignments (2 effects controlled by one switch) much; the experimentation I've done seems to make the multi-assigned switch toggle between one effect and the other, not turn both on or both off at the same time.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

If you activate two effect-blocks and assign them both to the same switch both will be deactivated (when you save the patch in this state) when you use the footswitch and vice versa.

If one of those two blocks is active and the other inactive they will switch their individual state.

If you activate two effect-blocks and assign them both to the same switch both will be deactivated (when you save the patch in this state) when you use the footswitch and vice versa.

If one of those two blocks is active and the other inactive they will switch their individual state.

Thank you, I think I figured it out. I added a Graphic EQ toward the end of the signal chain, set all five frequency bands to about +1dB, and assigned it to the same footswitch as the Phase with both effects off.  Hitting the footswitch switched them both on, and the Graphic EQ gave me the volume compensation I needed to keep the phased sound about even with the unphased sound.

• Upvote 1