Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Amp Stereo Out to FOH & Line to onstage amp/cab for HELIX??

Labrosse

So I leave for tour in a couple weeks and wanting to change up my setup.  

I am wanting to use dual amps with each amp hard panned to FOH for dual outputs so that they can mix each amp different.  At the same time I want to run a mono(or whatever works) line out without a cab impulse to an onstage amp and cab.  I don't need to have stereo effects.

Basically:

Amp1                                                            ----------------------->FOH(amp1)L

---------------->effects------------->CabIR

Amp2                                   -                        ------------------------->FOH(amp2)R

-

-

(no cabIR)--------------------------->poweramp/cab

POSSIBLE??

Short answer... Yes.

Question:  It seems you only want to go to the effects loop of the Power Amp/Cab?  So you don't need 4CM?  Or do you want some effects to the front of the amp, and the rest to the effects loop?  Or is it all just to the front of the amp from your effects? Or is the Power Amp/Cab exactly that, just a power amp and cab?

Short answer... Yes.

Question:  It seems you only want to go to the effects loop of the Power Amp/Cab?  So you don't need 4CM?  Or do you want some effects to the front of the amp, and the rest to the effects loop?  Or is it all just to the front of the amp from your effects? Or is the Power Amp/Cab exactly that, just a power amp and cab?

Yeah just in the loop of my power amp for some stage volume.  Nothing crazy.  In the past I've done a line without an IR to FOH and a line to a power amp/cab with no issue.  But wanting to do a stereo amp setup the same way.

Put in a send block anywhere in your signal chain that you want sent to your amp/cab, and plug in your amp/cab to the appropriate send in the back of Helix. FOH is just your two XLR outs. Done. 

So i've done that but now when I have the 2 amps it sounds like they are out of phase.

Can you post a pic of your preset?

So I figured out the out of phase issue.  But now when I have the channels for testing in my daw, it's like they come in mono even tho I have each XLR output plugged in.  I used a mic to test the channels an they both come into the daw hard Left and Right like it suppose to, but its like when I plug the helix in it just come in mono.

Any answers?

Trying to insert a pic of my preset but it's not working ha.

So I figured out the out of phase issue.  But now when I have the channels for testing in my daw, it's like they come in mono even tho I have each XLR output plugged in.  I used a mic to test the channels an they both come into the daw hard Left and Right like it suppose to, but its like when I plug the helix in it just come in mono.

Can you clarify? You have two channels in the DAW, one for Left (Amp 1) and one for Right (Amp 2) I take it. These are mono channels and XLR plugs are usually mono too.

Any answers?

Trying to insert a pic of my preset but it's not working ha.

Are you using Helix as your interface to DAW or are you plugged in XLRs to an external interface? Sounds like you are going XLR to an interface so each of your hard panned amp models is a mono signal. 

Can you clarify? You have two channels in the DAW, one for Left (Amp 1) and one for Right (Amp 2) I take it. These are mono channels and XLR plugs are usually mono too.

Correct, I am trying to emulate in a live situation, the sound guy gets 2 lines from me to mix amp1 left and amp2 right.  Yes but the Helix has 2 XLR outs and has the ability for stereo outs.  Is it not a true stereo out with the Helix? 

Are you using Helix as your interface to DAW or are you plugged in XLRs to an external interface? Sounds like you are going XLR to an interface so each of your hard panned amp models is a mono signal. 

Nope going from Helix---->2 XLR outs----->2 channel inteface

So is there no way to have each amp on each XLR?  I mean I literally want it set up just like I had 2 physical amps miked up and mixed right and left.

So is there no way to have each amp on each XLR?  I mean I literally want it set up just like I had 2 physical amps miked up and mixed right and left.

Yes, you have to hard pan them left and right in your signal chain. 

That does not work and you seem to use the wrong word here. You can "mix" them, but then they are merged into a single mono channel, which doesn't seem to be your intention. XLR has three pins, but it's a symmetric connection, so all three pins are used for one mono signal. If you want stereo, you need to use two XLRs, one hard panned left and one hard panned right.

That does not work and you seem to use the wrong word here. You can "mix" them, but then they are merged into a single mono channel, which doesn't seem to be your intention. XLR has three pins, but it's a symmetric connection, so all three pins are used for one mono signal. If you want stereo, you need to use two XLRs, one hard panned left and one hard panned right.

Right,  that's what I have.  2 XLR's connected to the XLR jacks.  And in my chain after the amp I have the mix set to A panned hard left and B panned hard right.  But when it comes in the daw it's coming in as 2 mono channels, not left and right.

Right,  that's what I have.  2 XLR's connected to the XLR jacks.  And in my chain after the amp I have the mix set to A panned hard left and B panned hard right.  But when it comes in the daw it's coming in as 2 mono channels, not left and right.

That is correct, you will get two mono channels A amp on one channel and B amp on the other channel. Once in your DAW, you have to pan those tracks within your DAW so they play out of left and right. Same as when you send the 2 XLRs to FOH. The sound guy will have to hard pan them at the board if you want them to be A in left and B in right in the mains. 

You are just panning them in Helix to get them to separate XLR outputs. If you want them panned outside of the Helix, you have to pan then in DAW/Mixer. 

That is correct, you will get two mono channels A amp on one channel and B amp on the other channel. Once in your DAW, you have to pan those tracks within your DAW so they play out of left and right. Same as when you send the 2 XLRs to FOH. The sound guy will have to hard pan them at the board if you want them to be A in left and B in right in the mains. 

You are just panning them in Helix to get them to separate XLR outputs. If you want them panned outside of the Helix, you have to pan then in DAW/Mixer. 

Haha that's what I'm saying, I've done all that but in the daw each pan sounds the same.  If I turn off one amp you can hear it being turned off in each track, not just one like it should be...

Haha that's what I'm saying, I've done all that but in the daw each pan sounds the same.  If I turn off one amp you can hear it being turned off in each track, not just one like it should be...

If you listen to headphones connected to Helix directly (do not monitor what is coming from your DAW), are your amps panned correctly?